4 servings / 23 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 8 min
- 1 cup (250 mL) unsalted cooked or drained rinsed canned chickpeas
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) baby spinach leaves, divided
- 1 small clove garlic
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) tahini or other nut or seed butter
- 1 roasted sweet red pepper (about 3/4 cup/175 mL strips)
- 4 6- to 8-inch (15 to 20 cm) whole wheat pita breads
- 4 oz (120 g) lower fat feta cheese, crumbled or 3 1/2 oz (100 g) regular feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a food processor, combine chickpeas, 1 cup (250 mL) of the spinach, garlic, lemon juice and tahini. Process until fairly smooth, adding 1 to 2 tsp (5 to 10 mL) water, if necessary, to make a spreadable hummus. Season to taste with pepper.
- Pat roasted red pepper strips dry. Arrange pita breads on a large baking sheet or 2 sheets, as necessary. Spread with hummus, dividing equally. Arrange strips of roasted red pepper on top; sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake for about 8 minutes or until pitas are toasted and toppings are hot.
Remove pitas from oven and sprinkle with remaining spinach.
Nutritional info per serving (1 flatbread)
- Calories 342
- Protein 18 g
- Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 15 mg
- Carbohydrates 51 g
Fibre 8 g
Sugars 5 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 655 mg
- Potassium 395 mg