12 servings / 2 hr 20 min
Prep 20 min / Cook 1 hr 45 min to 2 hr
Canadian beef and root vegetables make for an enticing pot of slow-simmered goodness. Take advantage of more relaxed meal-making time on the weekend by making a big batch of stew, ready to reheat during the week in 15 minutes or less.
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 4 carrots, cut into bite-size chunks
- 4 stalks celery, thickly sliced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried thyme
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried rosemary
- 3 lbs (1.5 kg) stewing beef, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 4 cups (1 L) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) tomato paste
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) 1% milk, divided
- 2 lbs (1 kg) potatoes, peeled if desired (about 4), cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- Dijon mustard, prepared horseradish or steak sauce (optional)
- In a large, deep pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté carrots, celery, onions, thyme, rosemary and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper for about 10 minutes or until onions are softened.
- Stir in beef until well mixed and pieces are separated. Stir in broth, tomato paste and vinegar; bring to a simmer, scraping up any bits stuck to pot. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, stirring often, for 45 minutes or until beef is starting to get tender.
- In a saucepan or microwave-safe measuring cup, heat 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) of the milk over medium heat on stovetop or on Medium (50%) power in microwave until steaming. Whisk flour into remaining cold milk.
- Uncover stew, increase heat to medium and stir in potatoes. Stir in flour mixture, then hot milk until blended. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 to 45 minutes or until beef and potatoes are tender. Season to taste with pepper. Stir mustard, horseradish or steak sauce into each serving, if desired.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 4)
- Calories 279
- Protein 32 g
- Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 85 mg
- Carbohydrates 21 g
Fibre 3 g
Sugars 6 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 384 mg
- Potassium 1057 mg