Position: Advisor, Development
Reports to: Director, Development BC & Yukon
Department: Development, BC & Yukon
Status: Permanent, Full Time
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.TM
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 30,000 volunteers and more than 1 million donors.
The Advisor will lead the planning and implementation of the Foundation’s signature major gifts event with a goal of $1 Million. Managing a critical path, organizing meetings and stewarding senior volunteers are significant components of this role.
Responsibilities include identifying and qualifying prospective donors, cultivating positive relationships, soliciting major gifts/sponsorships and stewarding donors and corporate partners. In addition, this role is responsible for raising +$300k from a pipeline of individual, corporate and foundation donors to advance the Foundation’s mission priorities and impact areas.
Management and execution of Major Gifts Fundraising Event
- Assume a leadership support role in planning, organizing and executing all aspects of a signature event for Vancouver major donors, prospects & corporate partners.
- Work with the event’s Committee Chair and even producer to recruit & support members of the volunteer committee.
- Schedule meetings and support the development of fundraising case for the event.
- Manage event timeline and critical path.
- Assign and follow up on tasks.
- Work closely with Development Team to ensure targets for sponsorship, gaming, donations & ticket sales are reached
Identification, Cultivation, Solicitation, Stewardship and Recognition
- Strategically and compellingly align prospect/supporter/corporate interests with the organization’s project needs and funding requirements.
- Identify and qualify gift and supporter involvement primarily, though not exclusively, from the levels of $5,000 and beyond, developing individual donor and corporate partnership cultivation and solicitation strategies for assigned prospects.
- Conduct integrated solicitation efforts in support of highest priority need areas of Heart and Stroke Foundation as identified in the Strategic Plan.
- Ensure appropriate and agreed-upon recognition and thorough stewardship including follow-through on the implementation and administration of the funds and related expenditures.
Delivery on Annual Revenue
- Effectively manage donor moves and adhere to internal protocols and processes; enter prospect and donor/partner information into the database and handle all confidential donor information in a sensitive and ethical manner.
- Anticipate and plan for future events, trends, problems, and opportunities, and exercise sound judgment.
- Conduct the necessary analysis of revenue (raised/received) and expenses.
- Keep the Director, Development informed of events, activities, and emerging issues as required.
- Post-secondary education in a related field (Business, Marketing & Communications would be particularly valuable)
- CRFE designation preferred but not essential.
Experience and Skills
- Experience in sales and or previous coordinating role.
- Experience managing or participating in the execution of fundraising events which raise +$100,000.
- Experience closing philanthropic gifts or sponsorships at the $5,000 plus level and managing a portfolio of at least 100 individual and corporate supporters and prospects is essential.
- A track record of soliciting and closing gifts at the $10,000 plus level.
- Experience working in a large, complex organization
- Demonstrated business experience in sponsorship or major proposal building is valuable.
- Proven ability to work successfully with high profile corporate, individual and community leaders.
- Outstanding organizational, motivational, and people skills.
- Exceptional communications skills: listening, oral, written, and presentation.
- Strong presentation and public speaking abilities
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and manage timelines, goals, and expectations.
- Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge or other fundraising specific database.
- Well known for being a strong, positive team player with a collaborative work style who thrives in a highly competitive industry and fast-paced work environment.
- Familiarity with non-profit and corporate communities in British Columbia is an assets
- Ability to travel and access to own vehicle.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume, cover letter and cover and salary expectations to HSFC.Recruitment@heartandstroke.ca. We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental, and medical coverage.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada