The Heart and Stroke Foundation, a volunteer-based health charity, leads in eliminating heart disease and stroke and reducing their impact through the advancement of research and its application, the promotion of healthy living, and advocacy.
Heart & Stroke launched its innovative project Activate in March 2018. We are looking for enthusiastic volunteers to join our Activate team!
This role offers volunteers practical experience in community health promotion to help Canadians manage their blood pressure and improve their overall wellness.
Volunteers will be responsible for program enrollment at public community spaces (e.g. community centres, pharmacies). As part of the enrollment process, Volunteers will take participants’ blood pressure reading, help participants understand their current risk of cardiovascular disease, and explain how Heart & Stroke’s program will support them to make small, yet significant, lifestyle changes.
To learn more about Activate please visit:http://www.heartandstroke.ca/get-healthy/activate
Some activities associated with this role include:
- Complete mandatory program training in September 2019. Training hours will be included in service hour verification (where requested)
- Greet members of the public and encourage them to learn about the Activate program
- Explain the goals of Activate, as well as provide background about the program
- Take potential participant’s blood pressure reading (using an automated machine) to see if they qualify
- Communicate whether potential participants are within the normal, pre-hypertensive, or hypertensive range
- Enroll pre-hypertensive participants into the program’s digital health platform using a mobile tablet device (provided by Heart & Stroke)
- Facilitate completion of a cardiovascular health risk assessment questionnaire
- Briefly discuss how the program can support participants’ health goals based on their cardiovascular risk profile and provide next steps
Locations: Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, Markham, North York, Scarborough
We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Timeline: September-December 2019
Volunteers are required to complete a minimum of 1 shift per week. Each shift is approximately 3-4 hours.
This job requires a mandatory in-field training session along with a follow up meeting with a member of the Activate staff.
Qualities you’ll need for this role:
- Passionate about healthy living; understands the basics of cardiovascular disease
- Experience with community health promotion programs, community health nursing, social work, personal support worker, and other similar programs is a strong asset
- Friendly, approachable, and enjoys interacting with people
- Strong English communication skills (written and verbal)
- Comfortable and proficient using computers/ mobile tablet devices
- Committed to the program’s success and diligent about “going the extra mile” as required to achieve this success
Benefits and Competencies developed:
- Exposure to an innovative health program and its impact in the community Opportunities to educate the public about high blood pressure risks and preventive measures
- Training in areas such as communication and client care
- Hands-on experience in measuring blood pressure
- Increased knowledge around cardiovascular disease and healthy living
- Opportunities to educate and support seniors in their journeys to make changes towards healthy living
- Opportunities to interact with a dynamic team of Heart & Stroke volunteers and employees
- Heart & Stroke certificate
- Verification of service hours (by request)
Please email your resume and a short statement about why you are interested in the role to Madeline Locke (Senior Specialist, Volunteer Engagement- Activate): firstname.lastname@example.org