5 servings / 1 hr 5 min
Prep 20 min / Cook 45 min
- 1 small butternut squash, about 1 kg/2 lbs
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 25mL (2 tbsp) chopped fresh parsley
- 5 mL (1 tsp) curry powder (optional)
- 1 mL (1/4 tsp) freshly ground pepper
- 1 L (4 cups) no salt added chicken broth
- 10 mL (2 tsp) canola oil
- 1 pkg (227 g/8 oz) mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 5 mL (1 tsp) chopped fresh rosemary or 1 mL/1/4 tsp dried
- 5 mL (1 tsp) chopped fresh thyme or 2 mL/1/2 tsp dried
- 25 mL (2 tbsp) goat cheese (optional)
- Peel and remove seeds from squash. Chop squash into 2.5 cm (1 inch) pieces and place in large bowl. Add 3 of the garlic cloves, parsley, curry powder, if using, pepper and 75 mL (1/3 cup) of the chicken broth and stir to coat. Spread onto parchment paper lined baking sheet and roast in 220 C (425 F) oven for about 40 minutes or until tender and golden.
- Meanwhile, in large non-stick skillet heat oil over medium high heat and cook mushrooms, remaining garlic, rosemary and thyme for about 8 minutes or until golden brown and liquid has evaporated; set aside.
- Scrape butternut squash into blender and puree with 500 mL (2 cups) of the broth until smooth. Pour into saucepan and add remaining broth. Bring to a simmer. Ladle into soup bowls and top with mushrooms and crumble goat cheese on top to serve.
Tip: For added texture and flavour, you can stir in mushrooms when simmering instead of sprinkling them on top.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 5)
- Calories: 141
- Protein: 7 g
- Total Fat: 3 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Carbohydrate: 26 g
Fibre: 4 g
Sugars: 5 g
Added sugars: 0 g
- Sodium: 70 mg
- Potassium: 872 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2011.