4-6 servings / 28 min
Prep 20 min / Cook 8 min
This salad has small pieces of broccoli that melt in your mouth with the orzo pasta. The fresh, tangy buttermilk dressing makes this salad extra delicious.
- 750 mL (3 cups) finely chopped broccoli
- 175 mL (3/4 cup) whole wheat orzo
- 75 mL (1/3 cup) buttermilk
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) chopped fresh basil or 15 mL/1 tbsp dried basil
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) chopped fresh parsley or 15 mL/1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) rice vinegar
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In saucepan of boiling water, cook orzo for 5 minutes. Add broccoli and cook for 3 minutes or until orzo is tender but firm. Drain well and place in bowl.
- Meanwhile, in small food processor or blender, puree buttermilk with basil, parsley, green onion until smooth. Pulse in garlic and vinegar. Pour over orzo mixture; add cheese and toss to coat well.
Tip: For a cold salad, simply rinse the orzo and broccoli under cold water after cooking and drain well. Add dressing as in recipe.
Tip: To make 75 mL (1/3 cup) of your own buttermilk place 5 mL (1 tsp) lemon juice into glass measuring cup and add enough skim milk to make 75 mL (1/3 cup).
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 6)
- Calories: 163
- Protein: 9 g
- Total fat: 2 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 4 mg
- Carbohydrate: 31 g
Fibre: 5 g
Sugar: 3 g
Added sugars: 0 g
- Sodium: 104 mg
- Potassium: 322 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2011