6 servings / 1 hr 5 min
Prep 20 min / Cook 45 min
Make this spaghetti and meat sauce dinner fun and serve it up like a pie! Serve it in wedges with a crisp green salad for a new twist on a family favourite.
- 250 g (8 oz) extra lean ground turkey
- 10 mL (2 tsp) canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 mL (1 tsp) Italian herb seasoning
- 500 mL (2 cups) chopped fresh or frozen broccoli
- 375 mL (1 1/2 cups) low fat pasta sauce
- 175 g (6 oz) whole wheat spaghetti, cooked (about 750 mL/3 cups cooked)
- 10 mL (2 tsp) soft non hydrogenated margarine
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) all purpose flour
- 250 mL (1 cup) skim milk
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) 1% cottage cheese
- In large saucepan cook turkey for about 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain in sieve to remove fat. Return saucepan to medium heat with oil and cook onion, garlic and Italian seasoning, stirring, for about 2 minutes or until onion is softened. Return turkey to saucepan and add broccoli and pasta sauce; bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In another saucepan, melt margarine over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Whisk in milk and cook, whisking for about 5 minutes or until starting to thicken and bubble. Whisk in cottage cheese and remove from heat.
- Add spaghetti to turkey mixture and stir in 125 mL (1/2 cup) of the cheese sauce. Pour into 25 cm (10 inch) deep dish pie plate; pressing down to flatten. Spread remaining cheese sauce over top and bake in 180 C (350 F) oven for about 25 minutes or until bubbly. Broil about 15 cm (6 inches) away from broiler for about 2 minutes or until golden on top, if desired. Let cool slightly before cutting into wedges to serve.
Tip: Make the spaghetti pie ahead of time and do not bake. Wrap and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Cover with foil and reheat in 180 C (350 F) oven for about 45 minutes.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 6)
- Calories: 274
- Protein: 18 g
- Total Fat: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 29 mg
- Carbohydrate: 34 g
Fibre: 5 g
Sugars: 7 g
Added Sugars: 0 g
- Sodium: 368 mg
- Potassium: 315 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2012.