6 servings / 45 min
Prep 20 min / Cook 25 min
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 sweet potatoes (about 1 3/4 lb/800 g), peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) sodium reduced vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) no salt added white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tub (142 g) baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic and celery for 3 minutes to soften. Stir in sweet potatoes, thyme and pepper to coat well.
- Add broth and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender but firm.
- Uncover and stir in kidney beans and spinach and cook for 5 minutes to heat through. Remove bay leaves before serving.
Tip: Change up the beans in this stew and try other favourites, like black beans, red kidney or mixed beans.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 6)
- Calories 220
- Protein 9 g
- Total fat 2.5 g
Saturated fat .2 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrates 43 g
Fibre 12 g
Sugars 9 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 300 mg
- Potassium 950 mg