12 servings / 1 hr 25 min
Prep 75 min / Cook 20 min
- 2 cups (500 mL) rolled oats
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) buttermilk, divided
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whole wheat flour or oat flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) canola oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) honey or maple syrup
- canola oil cooking spray or extra canola oil for cooking
- In large bowl, stir together oats and 2 cups (500 mL) buttermilk. Set aside for an hour or until buttermilk is absorbed and oats are soft. (To do this ahead of time, cover and refrigerate overnight.)
- In small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add to softened oatmeal.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup (125 mL) buttermilk along with eggs, canola oil, honey or maple syrup. Stir with rubber spatula just until well combined.
- Heat large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat and spray with canola oil cooking spray or brush with canola oil.
- Cook about 1/2 cup (125 mL) batter at a time; spread it out with bottom of ladle or spoon (it will be thick) to about 4 inches (10 cm) in diameter. Turn heat down to medium-low and cook until edges appear dry and bubbles begin to break on surface. Using thin spatula, flip and cook until golden on other side.
- Repeat with remaining batter. If you like, keep cooked pancakes warm in 200 ˚F (100 ˚C) oven while cooking the rest.
Nutritional info per serving (1 pancake)
- Calories 150
- Protein 6 g
- Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 40 mg
- Carbohydrates 17 g
Fibre 2 g
Sugars 4 g
Added sugars 2 g
- Sodium 250 mg
- Potassium 30 mg