Position: Translator/Editor Assistant
Reports to: Translator/Editor
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Status: Contract, 30 hours/week to August 31, 2018
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.™ Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives.™
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
We are looking for a translation assistant to support the work of our very busy translation team. This is a great opportunity for someone who maybe early in their translation career or who is looking for a part-time opportunity. In addition to some translation and editing there is an administrative aspect to this role particularly with logging, tracking, triaging and responding to translation requests.
- Translates from English into French medical, scientific, confidential and highly sensitive material. These documents need to be very accurate; most of them are complex and assure the integrity of the French language in a bilingual organization. Reviews translated materials (from either translation agency or contractors) with respect to grammar, spelling, context, terminology and structure. Rewrites and adapts texts as required for francophone audience.
- Reviews and corrects final PDFs and Website materials to ensure the documents are complete and makes sure PDF/Web layout is correct.
- Coordinates with clients and contracted suppliers to ensure the completion of the projects in a timely manner. Provides support to third-party preparing documents that require specialized terminology. Maintains contact with translation end users (e.g. web site team) to ensure appropriate integration of translated information. Responds to internal and external requests for information related to translation services, terminology, quotes and invoicing.
- Degree in translation preferred. The combination of work related experience and/or academic preparation will be evaluated.
Experience and Skills
- Fluency in French and English – both written and spoken.
- Proofreading and editing experience in English to French translation.
- Understanding of print layout and web design would be an asset.
- Experience in administrative services.
- Experience with computer software relating to word processing and spreadsheet applications. Proficient operation of French software and a French keyboard is essential. HTML or other internet based programming language will be helpful. Knowledge of Antidote is an asset.
- Previous work experience with medical terminology preferred.
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include the exact job title in the subject line of your email. Please include your hourly rate expectations.
This posting will remain open until October 16, 2017.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.