The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.™
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
We are looking for a solution oriented and passionate candidate to join the data and knowledge management team. This role is responsible for data cleaning, validation, and analysis of CIHI data, survey data and polling data. The role is also responsible for proper documentation of data analysis process, methodologies, and outcomes.
The Statistician contributes to the execution of the Foundation’s data strategy and provides advice on how to interpret and visualize the results of our data analysis to advance our mission goals.
Data cleaning, validation and analysis
- Programs in SAS or R for data analysis runs.
- Performs analysis of Canadian Institute of Health Information (CIHI) datasets, survey data, data from polling companies, and other population or heart and stroke-related data.
- Documents and validates raw data, analyzed data and program(s) used for data analysis.
- Understands and executes data analysis plans.
- Generates summary reports, graphs and flat excel files based on project needs to support evidence-guided decisions and knowledge products.
- Works independently to accomplish tasks and goals defined primarily by Senior Manager, Data and Knowledge Management, with additional guidance from Director, Data and Knowledge Management as appropriate.
- Creates and develops proper documentation for data analysis process, methodologies and analysis outcomes.
- Control and monitoring of data and knowledge quality
- Ensures consistent data quality, and executes appropriate corrective actions if errors are identified.
- Ensures accuracy and appropriate use of statistical methodologies, coordinates data analysis project and generates activities metrics for review.
- Follows data quality standards, policies and procedures to ensure compliance.
- Supports Mission Department’s data quality assurance efforts to identify and correct errors, and to articulate limitations in the data.
- Capacity Building within the Foundation
- Maintains awareness of CIHI and broader health sector data issues and standards.
- Communicates within the Foundation the importance of maintaining data quality and standards (as appropriate) and supports their application internally.
- Works collaboratively with internal and external partners to ensure wherever possible, data are used, interpreted and presented accurately.
- Masters degree in statistics/biostatistics or equivalent
Experience and Skills
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in statistical analysis in a health setting (i.e., public health, health planning organization or institution), with preference to work in clinical setting.
- Experienced in programming with SAS or R
- Hands-on experience in producing dynamic data tables and tools to support data visualization, notably of aggregate data In-depth understanding of data analysis documentations and data quality management.
- Team oriented, collaborative, diplomatic, and flexible, with strong oral and writing capabilities
- Good organization, time management, and attention to details to work in a face pace environment with multiple urgent priorities
- Ability to apply good judgement and demonstrate initiative to resolve and communicate issues
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills needed to work effectively in a team environment
- Advanced proficiency with statistical software application (e.g. SAS, R)
- Advanced skills in evaluating quantitative health data and utilizing analytic approaches for clustering, stratification and weighting of large data set
- Strong computer skills and ability to use technological tools to organize and advance the work of the team (i.e., MS Office Suite, SharePoint, CRM and other workflow tools). Advanced proficiency in Excel (i.e. VBA coding, macro, pivot table) is strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in English is essential and French language proficiency is an asset.
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to HSFC.Recruitment@heartandstroke.ca
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.