Position: Senior Manager, Communications
Reports to: Director, Communications, Canada
Department: Marketing and Communications
Status: Full time; Contract (1 year)
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.™
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
We are looking for a seasoned senior communications professional with the confidence to counsel and manage high level internal and external stakeholders. This communications expert will work as part of a national team that supports an assigned portfolio and is expected to understand the annual business goals and strategic plans of each of their internal clients, in order to help anticipate, plan for and implement communication solutions that maximize support to the Foundation.
This position is the first point of contact for client requirements related to Communications and are expected to bring forward broad-based solutions. This role will be responsible for supporting all levels of management on a day-to-day basis.
Strategy Development and Planning
- Lead a core team in development and implementation of multi-dimensional communications plans on a variety of mission, fundraising and corporate communications portfolios (approximately 3-5) to build awareness of the Foundation, strengthen its image and advance mission and fund development work.
- Contribute to development of the annual communications work plan in collaboration with central comms team, HSF departments, quarterly priorities and monitoring progress of same
- Participate on additional core communications teams, providing input into planning and execution on a variety of portfolios as assigned
- Plan creation and materials development in conjunction with core team, and integrate with marketing strategy, marketing activation and digital as appropriate
- Liaise with provincial execution team to ensure needs are met and expectations clear
- Protect the Foundation’s position as the credible and authoritative voice on cardiovascular disease
- Strengthen the Foundation’s reputation as a leading health charity, with a focus on increasing understanding of the Foundation’s mission, goals, strategies and achievements / outcomes
- Report progress to the Director; provide final reports against all portfolio plans with analysis and recommendations
- Contribute to the development, implementation and monitoring of systems and procedures necessary to the smooth operation of the communications department
- Develops annual budgets for portfolio responsibilities with the Director; monitors spending; ensures adherence to expense lines and evaluates
- Reviews provincial budgets and provides input/agreement
- Informs and monitors communications in relation to Imagine Canada Ethics Code and Canada Revenue Agency
- Lead talent development, ensuring high standards, competence and that staff is well supported in fulfilling their accountabilities, developing their skills and achieving their career potential.
- Providing clear direction on business goals and priorities; ensure optimal deployment of resources to achieve business goals.
- Build and develop cohesive lateral relationships cross functionally.
- Establish performance plan and objectives and review on an ongoing basis; provide coaching and feedback as per the performance management process
- As required, recruit skilled talent in support of current and future Foundation needs, following Foundation policies, interviewing methodology and assessment guidelines.
- Familiarize and comply with all HSF policies while ensuring accurate administration of employee related information: absence records, vacation, title, etc.
- Manager, Corporate Communications
- University or College degree, preferably in communications, public relations or in a related field, such as journalism
Experience and Skills
- Minimum of 8-10 years of progressively senior experience in communications and/or public relations positions
- Proven ability to create and implement a strategic plan that delivers measurable outcomes.
- Proven ability to work alongside marketing and digital to develop integrated plans that focus on the strengths of each discipline
- Proven success in developing and implementing strategic communications plans
- Exceptional communications skills: listening, oral, written, presentation
- Experience successfully managing issues/crises
- Solid understanding of how the media works – traditional, online and social – and proven ability to create plans and resources that successfully engage these stakeholders
- Skilled in a variety of writing forms – i.e. reports, key messages, news releases, backgrounders, fact sheets, tips for consumers, speeches and PowerPoint presentations
- Proven ability to organize events and manage logistics as required
- Creative and resourceful; able to produce high-quality products with limited resources
- Experience in managing consultants/suppliers
- Superb “people” and relationship-building skills
- Leadership competencies: integrity/credibility; foresight/vision; ability to generate enthusiasm and motivate others around a shared vision
- Professional, credible presence in the communications field
- Significant experience communicating in multi-stakeholder environments
- Experience making presentations to senior officials
- Understanding of branding and brand management
- Understanding and experience implementing communications using new media
- Extensive experience in management of employees and external agencies, vendors and partners
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to HSFC.Recruitment@heartandstroke.ca
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.