Position: Manager, Internal Communications
Reports to: Director, Communications
Department: Marketing & Communications
Location: Toronto office
Status: Permanent, Full Time
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.™
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
The 600+ Heart & Stroke employees are passionate about fighting heart disease and stroke, and this creative and innovative communicator has the opportunity to inform, engage and inspire them in their work. This role is responsible for developing the national internal communications strategy with the Director, Communications and executing the strategy for the Foundation’s internal audiences (employees, boards).
The primary clients of the Manager, Internal Communications include the human resources department and the national CEO, to provide guidance and support on communication to key stakeholder audiences and support the fostering of a volunteer and donor-centric operating culture in alignment with the organization’s strategic priorities and values. Other clients include various program owners within Heart & Stroke, providing internal communications direction and support, partnering with them to develop their messages for staff and volunteer audiences. This role also collaborates with the Communications Manager, Ontario on internal communications for the province and the provincial office.
Internal communications strategy and execution
- Develop an overall internal communications strategy with the Director, Communications and execute against it on an annual basis.
- Calendarize activities and support the organization in best-of-class internal communications.
- Develop and manage all internal communications assets
- Ensure internal communications messages are consistent across all media and for different departments of the organization
- Ensure internal communication messages are consistent with external communication messages
- Provide communications planning and support for various HR programs and change management initiatives (e.g. performance management, organizational development, compensation).
- Provide communications planning for the national CEO and support for key stakeholder audiences.
- Draft messages or scripts for senior executives for presentation to employees in written or spoken form
- Plan, manage and execute all Staff Update meetings in conjunction with various business units.
- Provide communications consultation for other staff and board communications for regional, annual or other events (Leadership Meeting, AGM, etc.). Provide direction and advice to communication stakeholders regarding appropriate messaging, communication vehicle, target audience, timing of announcements, distribution, etc.
- Provide internal communications consulting support for strategic priorities and projects.
- Provide internal crisis communication planning and execution leadership, working in partnership with external audience owners (e.g. PR, Mission, Corporate Partnerships, Development, Lottery).
- Represent internal communications on the national communications team, and lead the internal communications portfolio team.
- Maintain ongoing momentum and drive the strategy and evolution of the Intranet
- Manage the home page to keep it fresh and relevant, creating a valuable “go-to” resource for employees.
- Manage, develop and write copy for SharePoint intranet site
- Support a “pull” communication strategy (self serve) Heart & Stroke is adopting.
- Update processes and procedures, leading content owners and content publishers (includes managing the “onboarding” process for content owners and publishers).
- Ensures national and provincial boards are incorporated into all-staff communications as appropriate, and that provincial board update calls are scheduled, pre-reads delivered and any follow-up from calls managed.
- Collaborates with Corporate Secretary and EA to the CEO
- Lead a highly effective portfolio team, ensuring high standards of delivery
- Provide clear direction on business goals and priorities
- Ensure optimal deployment of resources to achieve business goals; identify and source various internal/external design, writing, IT, event and other resources
- Develop cohesive lateral relationships cross functionally
- Establish performance plan and objectives and review on an ongoing basis; provide coaching and feedback to direct reports as per the performance management process
- As required, recruit skilled talent in support of current and future foundation needs, following foundation policies, interviewing methodology and assessment guidelines
- Familiarize and comply with all HSFC policies
- Ensure accurate administration of employee related information: absence records, vacation, title, etc.
- Co-ordinator, Internal Communications
- Post-secondary degree in Communications, Public Relations, Advertising, Marketing, Journalism, English or related area of study is required
- Post-graduate degree an asset
Experience and skills
- 5-7 years in a corporate communications role with a focus on internal or stakeholder communications, encompassing both breadth and depth in traditional employee communications (e.g. staff meetings, newsletters, intranet, event management) as well as broader marketing communications
- Prior experience working in a broader marketing and corporate communications environment
- People management experience
- Development/execution of communications strategy
- Project management experience, including working to scope, milestones and deliverables
- Prior experience managing internal and external partner/supplier relationships
- Strong technically and with online vehicles (SharePoint, GoToMeeting/Webinar)
- Experience with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience with online/multimedia channels (web posting, video, social media)
- Managing and evolving an intranet
- Content development including digital video filming/production
- Experience and comfort working with senior management
- Conceiving and orchestrating large virtual and live events
- Prior experience with volunteer communications an asset
- Prior experience with Board communications an asset
- Non-profit experience an asset
- Excellent relationship-building and managing skills
- Broad world view, curious and well-read
- Critical thinking skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Writing for a variety of media
- Juggling and prioritizing
- Strong organizational skills and can lead a project from beginning to end
- Influencing various interests and opportunities
- Building trust and confidence from internal clients through professional interactions, integrity, maintaining confidentiality
- Online and multimedia understanding and capabilities (intranet design/posting, video development/editing, social media, mail programs, virtual meeting/webinar technology)
- Skill working with SharePoint considered a considerable asset
- English and French proficiency highly preferred
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to HSFC.Recruitment@heartandstroke.ca. We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.
This posting will remain open until April 13, 2018.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.