Position: Jr. Accountant, Banking
Reports to: Manager, Accounting
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Status: Contract (End date February 2018), Full-time
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.™ Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives.™
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
The role is responsible for the accurate recording of Foundation revenue, timely completion of reconciliations of Foundation bank accounts, reconciliation against other databases, and daily revenue reporting. Also, this role participates in improvement projects and supports all banking, revenue and investment activities. As a member of the accounting team, this role provides efficient and effective customer service to all stakeholders while ensuring internal controls are maintained.
- Reconcile funds deposited to all Foundation bank accounts, ensuring they are accurate and accounted for in the correct GL accounts in order to provide timely and accurate information to the Foundation.
- Reconcile, verify and investigate information and inquiries received from fundraising teams to ensure correct allocations of revenues. Prepare revenue recoding entries as appropriate.
- Prepare required adjusting entries and revenue recognition entries ensuring they are made within agreed finance timelines.
- Complete daily journal entries necessary for revenue reporting
- Process stop payments, wire payments, credit card refunds, chargebacks and NSF cheques as necessary
- Identify and resolve banking related issues.
- Assist in processing any adjustments to Virtual Terminal.
- Develop deposit processes and ensure that they are followed.
- Order deposit slips and banking supplies as necessary.
- Communicate with banks for follow up queries.
- Reconcile all Foundation bank accounts accurately and in a timely manner.
- Complete monthly credit card reconciliations and reconciliations against external service providers and internal fundraising databases.
- Ensure that all banking clearing accounts are reconciled monthly.
- Investigate and resolve all variances/discrepancies identified during reconciliations
- Assist with annual lottery cash reconciliation.
- Prepare Weekly Revenue reports and distribute as necessary.
- Prepare Ad-Hoc reports related to banking and revenue as necessary
- Assist with banking and revenue analysis as required
- Assist with process improvement initiatives including CRM
- Support and provide backup for Banking & Investment Lead and other accounting staff
- Provide coaching and direction to accounting volunteers.
- Support the fundraising teams on full cycle gaming activities (applications, reporting, banking, and use of proceeds)
- Post-secondary accounting diploma or equivalent
- 1-3 years of experience with treasury or banking functions
- Experience in completing various reconciliations
- Experience with financial systems preferably Dynamics Great Plains
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Intermediate Excel skills including knowledge of vlookup and sumif functions, pivot tables, data sorting and filtering
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook and Power Point
- Tact, diplomacy and solid judgment
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca