Reports to: Senior Manager, Data and Knowledge Management
Department: Mission – National
Location: Toronto, ON
Status: Full-time, Permanent
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.™
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
The Epidemiologist provides direction and support for data collection and data interpretation, responds to data requests, conducts data analysis, interpretation and data quality assurance, produces reports and develops data sharing and visualizations. The role is responsible for data and knowledge identification, validation and collection, with a primary focus on heart conditions and stroke. The role may also work with data and knowledge on co-morbidities of heart conditions and stroke, such as diabetes and renal disease.
In addition, the role will also provide support to the Senior Manager, Data and Knowledge Management in implementation of a new data governance framework and data management infrastructure, such as design, test and development of web-based data request and data collection tools.
Epidemiological Analysis, Interpretation and Reporting
- Identifies appropriate data sources and monitors current local, provincial, national and international epidemiologic trends and reports in a timely manner.
- Extract health data from databases such as Statistics Canada, Global Burden of Disease, local public health authority databases, and CIHI portal as part of regular reporting activities, or on an as-needed basis for special purposes.
- Designs and conducts complex data retrievals to meet health information requirements from key data and knowledge users, reporting obligations (e.g., to Provincial Territorial Advisory Group) and to support the conduct of epidemiologic research and routine operations.
- Conducts literature research, reviews technical and scientific journals, and creates evidence tables on heart and stroke-related topics
- Collects, analyzes and reports survey data as appropriate.
- Works closely with scientific writer and biostatistician to prepare scientific and technical publications to communicate trends, investigative findings and research initiatives to internal audience and the broader public health community, as appropriate.
- Prepares paper work and submits annual heart and stroke data request to Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI).
Implementation of Data and Knowledge Management Infrastructure
- Maintains collaborative efforts and builds productive relationship with data and knowledge users throughout Heart and Stroke
- Understands the epidemiologic data needs to fulfill the goals of the Foundation
- Identifies challenges and limitations of existing data and knowledge handling methods and performs continuous improvement.
- Provides recommendations and identifies realistic methods to organize, access, and disseminate data and knowledge
- Reviews data and knowledge requests, tracks and reports trends of data usage
- Works closely with internal stakeholders to assess the impact of impending data releases, and assists in preparing contingency plans for such releases
- Designs, tests and develops data management infrastructure such as web-based data request and data collection tools
Control and Monitoring of Data and Knowledge Quality
- Evaluates the quality and comprehensiveness of data requester’s satisfaction in the provision of epidemiologic content and expertise.
- Reviews, validates, and updates (as applicable) existing in-house epidemiologic data to ensure relevancy and accuracy
- Supports others in the daily use of data systems and ensure adherence to data management standards, data governance policies and procedures
- Works towards improving the quality of data collected in local databases or repository and efficiency in data reporting
- Ensures proper documentation of contextual and historical records of data used to support decision making.
- Ensures all epidemiologic data and reports are subject to routine reviews prior to dissemination.
- Supports Mission Department’s data quality assurance efforts to identify and correct errors, and to articulate limitations in the data.
Capacity Building within the Foundation
- Develops documentation and training materials for data request and collection tools.
- Communicates the importance of maintaining data quality and standards and supports internal capacity building activities.
- Works collaboratively with internal and external partners to ensure wherever possible, decisions are made with consensus and with full understanding of implications and impacts.
- Post-secondary degree in epidemiology, biostatistics, mathematics, public health informatics or related field.
- Master’s degree is preferred.
Experience and Skills
- Minimum 3 to 5 years of experience as an epidemiologist in a health services, public health or related setting.
- Minimum 3 years of experience conducting surveillance, analysis and reporting of heart diseases, disorders, conditions and stroke or related data.
- Minimum 3 years of experience conducting quantitative analyses using spreadsheets, charts, maps, and visualizations
- Minimum 1 year of experience conducting data quality assurance outside of academic setting
- Experience in data querying and reporting on data.
- Positive, ‘can-do’ attitude with proven experience taking the initiative to overcome obstacles
- Team oriented, collaborative, diplomatic, and flexible, with strong oral and writing capabilities
- Knowledge of and skills in disease surveillance, research, statistics, disease control and public health and working with heart and stroke-related data sources, running surveillance systems, procuring data, preparing reports and editing reports with scientific rigour.
- Experience informing public health policy and practice, having contributed to the introduction and implementation of new initiatives.
- Knowledge of, and skills in methods used routinely for analyzing data including sample size calculations, comparison of categorical and continuous data, stratification and pooling of odds ratios, multivariate analysis.
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant regulations and regulatory trends in epidemiology, public health and surveillance.
- Organizational and project management skills to prioritize effectively and meet competing deadlines
- Skills in organizing a research study from conception, through design to reporting.
- Ability to critically evaluate and synthesize relevant sources of information with excellent attention to details.
- Proficiency in: data re-coding and cleaning; ensuring data quality; transforming data from long to wide (and vice versa); and integrating data across data sources using an analysis program such as SAS, R, or JMP.
- Strong computer skills and ability to use technological tools to organize and advance the work of the team (i.e., MS Office Suite, SharePoint, Excel, Access and other workflow tools).
- Advanced Excel skill is preferred.
- Proficiency in English is essential and French-language proficiency is an asset.
- Ability to balance competing priorities and deadlines.
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to HSFC.Recruitment@heartandstroke.ca. We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.