Position: Director, Corporate Partnerships
Reports to: Vice President Development, Ontario
Department: Development, Ontario
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Status: Permanent, Full-time
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.™ Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives.™
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
Reporting to the Vice-President, Development of Ontario, the Director, Corporate Partnerships will provide strategic leadership and management of the corporate fundraising plan for Heart & Stroke, and be responsible for playing a leadership role in the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of some of the organization’s largest corporate partnerships, with a goal of ensuring strategic high level engagement with corporate Canada. He/she will maximize revenue to support mission priorities, fundraising and awareness initiatives.
He/she will act as key advisor, direct the efforts of a team of skilled professionals to achieve the highest priority needs of the Foundation while managing a portfolio of corporate relationships (provincial and national) at various stages of identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship. A highly respected and proven fundraiser or sales professional, the Director will oversee fund development and sponsorship functions relating to corporate engagement across the province and will have a role in assisting with strategic national partnerships with accountability to identify and develop opportunities for growth. He/she will effectively and successfully deliver on or exceed annual and longer term campaign fundraising goals and support the implementation of new corporate partnership programs by working with cross functional teams to identify, adapt, develop and deliver mutually beneficial products for corporate partnerships.
- Work closely with VP, Development Canada, to create and implement strategies for increasing revenue and activity within the corporate sector across Canada – including top national prospects (revenue and brand).
- Lead multi-year process to identify high potential prospects across Canada and advise on provincial and/or national strategies to accomplish goals.
- Work in close collaboration with Team Central to identify best strategies for engagement of high potential corporate prospects.
- Develop the annual and multi-year plan for Ontario’s corporate partnership goals and objectives.
- Work with Team Central to actively ensure a coordinated approach for prospect identification and clearance in Canada.
- Develop an annual budget, reviewing financial results and projections on a regular basis using reports, tools and process.
- Provide leadership in a strategic capacity with accountability to identify and develop opportunities for corporate engagement and growth across the country.
- Work collegially and strategically to enhance annual and multi-year Corporate fundraising revenue – without regard to the provincial home of each gift.
- Actively contribute to the development and maintenance of a robust pipeline in Ontario.
- Contribute to provincial and national revenue development strategy, plans and priorities.
- Manage an active prospect pool of $8M-$10M in various stages of identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship (including some top national prospects).
- Maintain annual revenues of $3M in Ontario and contribute to revenue generation across Canada.
- Contribute to and support a culture of the best practices.
- Secure multi-year and complex partnerships.
- The incumbent will spend 80% of time facilitating face to face relationship building efforts, with a minimum of 5 face to face strategic contacts/month.
Fundraising and Strategic Planning
- In alignment with the Development team’s strategic plan, deliver on annual targets and achieve realized and campaign revenue goals in excess of $3M
- Develop the annual and multi-year plan for Ontario’s corporate partnership goals and objectives
- Develop an annual budget, reviewing financial results and projections on a regular basis using reports, tools and process
- Provide leadership and fundraising expertise, mentoring direct reports, peers and senior level volunteers
- Provide national leadership in a strategic capacity with accountability to identify and develop opportunities for corporate engagement growth across the country
Partner Relationship Management
- Using research, staff/volunteer referrals and networks, enhance the existing pipeline and develop new relationships with potential corporate partners.
- Work with Team Central to support the development of corporate sales tools/packages that will attract corporate support while reflecting organizational priorities.
- Serve as an enthusiastic and well-informed spokesperson.
- Collaborate closely with Community Engagement, Marketing and Mission teams to deliver high quality, highly customized opportunities for corporate sponsorships and donations.
- Oversee and personally cultivate, solicit, recognize and steward relationships for key stakeholders, working in partnership with National and Provincial CEOs, National and Provincial VP, Board members, Fund Development Committee members and Provincial Advisory Board.
- Deepen relationships with existing supporters for excellent stewardship and engagement.
- Lead stewardship and communication planning with tailored and meaningful plans for top donors and prospects.
- Collaborate actively with the Mission team to ensure appropriate representation of staff, scientists, clinicians, etc. at donor meetings and/or events.
Central Database Recording & Moves Management
- Participate in an integrated moves management program and prospect clearance process.
- Ensure that all outcomes from prospect, supporter and volunteer contact are recorded in the database within 48 hours.
- Ensure the seamless collection and coordination of information for prospective donor advancement purposes.
- Take an active role in learning about and keeping up-to-date with the Foundation’s priority funding opportunities, with particular alignment with nation-wide priorities and interests.
- Recruit, develop and provide regular coaching and performance management to a team of professionals to effectively support business and development goals. Ensure the Corporate
- Partnership team is appropriately versed in Heart & Stroke strategic research and programs. Provide leadership and fundraising expertise, mentoring direct reports, peers and senior level volunteers.
- Provide subject matter expertise, mentoring and advice as appropriate.
- Acts with integrity by promoting consistency among principles, values and behaviours
- Provide regular briefings, coaching and advice to the Fund Development Committee, Provincial Advisory Board, as required, on the progress of the Corporate Partnership team goals
- Genuinely engage with senior level volunteers to create enthusiasm for exercising their influence in their own constituencies
- Senior Manager, Corporate Partnerships
- Manager, Corporate Partnerships
- Development Coordinator
- Significant amount of activity outside of the office in meetings with prospects and volunteers
- Travel throughout Ontario is required
- Driver’s license and use of reliable vehicle required
- Occasional evenings and weekends required
- Minimum of 8 years progressive experience in fundraising in a large, multi-level and/or complex health related organization
- Has a track record of working closely with a President, Vice-President and/or senior level executive leaders and volunteers
- Exceptional networking ability, demonstrated tact, diplomacy and creative problem solving capabilities
- Demonstrated corporate fundraising sales and/or campaign experience and driving the acquisition of contributions at the 100,000+ range
- Experience in successfully recruiting, training, mentoring and managing a team of fundraising professionals
- Proven ability to cultivate meaningful relationships with corporate partners
- Experience participating in an integrated central fundraising program and prospect clearance process
- Ability to work at the detailed level with a high degree of accuracy and quality
- Superb written and verbal communication skills – volunteer briefings, proposal and letter writing
- Strong analytical skills and ability to work within a CRM database
- Appreciation and understanding of AFP Code of Ethics, Policies and Procedures
- University degree in a related field and CFRE designation and/or involvement in a professional association are considered assets
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca