Position: Development Writer
Reports to: Director, Development Opportunities & Stewardship
Status: Permanent, Full-Time
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.™
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
The Development Writer will work to achieve the highest priority needs of the Heart & Stroke.
The incumbent will create, develop and enhance an integrated mix of donor and partner-centered communication tools to support sponsor, major gift donor and other development activities. This will include the creation and development of proposal and stewardship templates, and highly customized corporate partnership pitch decks, donor gift proposals, grant applications, and meaningful stewardship correspondence.
Corporate Sponsorship and Individual Major Gift Proposal Development
- Strategically and compellingly align the organization’s needs to the partner or donor in support of sponsorship and philanthropic solicitation efforts
- Liaising with various internal stakeholders, lead the development of national corporate partnership and major gift decks and proposals, including funding proposals for individuals, corporations, foundations and other organizations
- Effectively and successfully integrate Heart & Stroke’s mission priorities and successes, research profiles, goals and objectives, programs and services and the role of sponsorship/philanthropy in achieving organizational goals
- Ensure all writing assignments are completed on time and are approved by appropriate stakeholders
- Execute communication that grabs attention, builds conviction and desire, stirs interest and calls audience to action throughout all stages of the corporate/major gift fundraising process
Major Gift Donor & Corporate Partner Stewardship
- Deliver prompt, personal and meaningful gift acknowledgement correspondence
- Create compelling Stewardship and Impact Reports that clearly and effectively articulate the impact that the corporation/individuals contribution has made
- Communicate compellingly to partners and donors and other audiences about how their support of the Heart & Stroke accomplishes measurable results by advancing heart disease and stroke research, treatment and prevention
- Develop compelling speeches for Development staff presenting at events
- Execute, coordinate and advise on a diverse array of print and electronic communications that support all stages of the donor-cycle
- Undergraduate degree
Experience and Skills
- 3-5 years’ experience in fundraising or communications, with expertise in developing customized corporate partnership proposals, major gift proposals and/or grant applications
- Superior expertise in standard writing and editing skills including English grammar, punctuation and syntax.
- Superior interpersonal relationship-building skills
- Excellent technical/analytical skills and attention to detail
- Superior speech-writing skills
- A keen eye for design and developing high quality communications materials Solid grasp of business communication, with the ability to write letters of inquiry, reports, white papers and business plans.
- Strong understanding of the major gifts and corporate partnership fundraising process
- Experience in project management, with a demonstrated ability to manage for results and set and establish new standards of success
- Proven ability to work in a multi-layered, complex, results-orientated institution with multiple internal and external stakeholders
- Superior ability to produce high-quality work under tight, constantly changing deadlines, combined with a comfort managing multiple projects, priorities and deadlines.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office with advanced experience in developing creative and compelling PowerPoint Presentations
- Committed to the highest standards of professionalism and donor relations
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to HSFC.Recruitment@heartandstroke.ca. We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.