Position: Brand Strategy Specialist, Community Events
Reports to: Senior Manager, Marketing Strategy
Department: Marketing and Communications
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Status: Full Time, Permanent
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.™
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
Join us in this unique opportunity to work on Canada’s best-known charity brand and Heart & Stroke’s long-standing, high-profile signature fundraising events. Heart & Stroke is seeking an outstanding marketer who wants to make a difference to the health of Canadians.
In this role, the successful candidate will be charged with deepening Canadian’s connection to this important cause through our Community-based fundraising events. This role will help set the appropriate business strategy and drive further integration of our brand across our Community Event (CE) programs to increase relevancy and engagement of participants with our cause, ultimately leading to increased lifetime value for Heart & Stroke.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Marketing Strategy, this position requires expertise in business planning and marketing strategy development combined with the capability to drive best in class creative execution.
Marketing Strategy Development and Business Planning
- Acquire a deep, holistic constituent understanding of the brand to serve as the cornerstone for long term growth for the Foundation.
- Collaborate with Community Event (CE) program leads/teams to develop effective plans/strategies to increase net revenue for the Foundation via increased participation rates, fundraising per event/participant, and/or retention.
- Work with CE program leads and the Sr. Manager, Marketing Strategy to leverage fact-based, data/insight-driven understanding of industry, target constituents, marketplace trends, and CRM data as part of annual planning and building business cases and make recommendations for growth.
- After recommendations approved, pursue innovative opportunities to enhance net revenue for the CE programs.
- Lead the creation of research briefs; partner with consumer research vendors (and leverage existing research) to generate insights to drive recommendations for growth, seeking input from CE program leads.
- Connect mission impact and relevancy to target constituents to develop tools to help the field “sell the cause”.
- Bring forward constituent learnings and insights from the CE programs to help inform overall engagement of constituents with the Foundation and contributions to CRM.
- Assist Sr. Marketing Manager with strategic deep dives, insight development and ideation sessions.
- Provide recommendations and cost estimates in order to help determine annual budgets (e.g. creative production, media, and research) which will be managed by CE program leads.
Project Planning and Management
- Co-develop marketing tactics and assets for key CE programs, including critical path, budgets and stakeholder involvement/approvals with CE program leads.
- Develop strategic briefs, lead briefing of creative teams, and review/contribute feedback on creative in development
- Work with CE program lead to determine growth drivers and establish key metrics.
- Together with CE program leads, measure the results of all programs/campaigns vs. targets.
- Recommend improvements to modify plans based on results to date, market conditions and new learning.
- Be the CE point person with Creative Services and third party agency/vendor relationships, including media and advertising agencies on behalf of the CE.
- Be the point person for creative development to ensure integration across communication channels.
- Provide regular updates to CE program leads on costs associated with activities to support budget reviews and updates.
University Degree in Marketing or Business
Experience and Skills
- 5 years marketing experience -- brand marketing and strategic planning.
- Digital marketing experience a definite plus.
- Proven experience demonstrating a disciplined approach to growing a business (i.e. experience turning a business around a definite plus).
- Ability to manage project complexities and numerous stakeholders.
- Constituent-centric orientation - puts people at the centre of their thinking.
- Anticipates and plans for future events, trends, problems and opportunities.
- Evaluates reasonable risk taking opportunities and exercises sound judgment.
- Proven high level of creativity and ability to innovate for growth, stimulating new ways of thinking and solving problems.
- Drives for results, while maintaining and building effective relationships.
- Drives to find new, innovative solutions vs. defaulting to the status quo.
- Persists in advancing initiatives despite adversity, creating and influencing alternate solutions as appropriate.
- Strong influencing skills -- proven ability to develop and sell ideas.
- Excellent written and verbal communication/presentation skills.
- Adapts communication style as appropriate for different audiences.
- Acts with integrity.
- Self-aware, committed to professional and personal growth.
- Pragmatic, resourceful and a self-starter – takes initiative and willing to roll-up sleeves and work with modest budgets.
- Understanding of the Not-for-profit/charity category is a plus.
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to HSFC.Recruitment@heartandstroke.ca. We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.