Position: Associate Counsel and Privacy Officer
Reports to: General Counsel, Canada
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Status: Contract, Full-time (8-Month Maternity Leave Replacement)
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.™Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives.™
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
We are looking for an organized and highly efficient legal professional to support the General Counsel in the day-to-day administration of legal and regulatory compliance and mitigation of risk as well manage and be accountable for national privacy and adherence to industry standards and legislated requirements.
Legal and Regulatory
- Under the supervision and guidance of the General Counsel, manage all corporate filings – federally and across the provinces
- Support the General Counsel in contract reviews and drafting as well as provide guidance and insight to business units on legal obligations and responsibilities
- Conduct legal research and draft memos where required to support business units and research teams
- Maintain corporate Minute Books and support with governance oversight and national board of directors and members meetings
- Monitor and stay abreast of any new developments in legislation, guidelines and industry standards.
Privacy Officer Role
- Manage and maintain a national privacy portfolio that includes the following:
- Maintain a consolidated database of where, how and why personal information collected, used, stored, retained and destructed (where applicable).
- Maintain internal privacy policies
- Monitor agreements with third parties that host, collect, use, or have any other relationship with HSFC collected personal information
- Oversee all privacy complaints and resolution and reporting process
- Maintain/update suppression lists of people that don’t want to be contacted
- Track and monitor all privacy complaints; collect analytics to track progress over time
- Review all digital and print materials prior to publishing for compliance with privacy legislation and CASL
- Sit on committees related to new HSF tools to advise on privacy issues
- Provide support to all provinces on privacy issues
- Remain up-to-date and informed on all developments on CASL and relevant national and provincial privacy legislation and any related industry standards and guidelines
- Advise business units on CASL and privacy legislation where necessary
- Law Degree with at least 2-3 years relevant experience in a corporate legal setting
- Called to the Ontario Bar Association and member in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada
Experience and Skills
- Experience reviewing and drafting corporate agreements
- Experience and knowledge of privacy legislation and CASL
- Experience with board governance
- Competency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point
- Critical and analytical thinking is essential
- High level problem solving skills
- Detail oriented
- Customer service oriented
- Excellent communicator
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.