Position: Area Manager, Niagara Region
Reports to: Regional Director, Region 2
Department: Community Engagement
Location: St. Catharine’s, Ontario
Status: Full-time, Permanent
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.™ Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives.™
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
We are seeking an enthusiastic, hands-on, fundraising leader to deliver the Foundation’s community based fundraising and volunteer development programs. The Area Manager will ensure that the Niagara regional office team is motivated and high performing and together deliver on the annual fundraising goals. Following well established fundraising metrics and deliverables (in programs such as My Own Fundraiser, Big Bike, Jump Rope for Heart, Door to Door Campaigns), is well-organized and results driven, the Area Manager will be instrumental in the success of the office, community presence and promoting the Heart & Stroke Foundation’s profile and mission.
Fundraising and Community Engagement
- Meet fundraising goals for the area office including the overall goal and program goals for each key community based fund raising program
- Develop and execute strategies to strengthen business/community relationships to support fundraising opportunities
- Develop strategies for plans to grow community presence and reach through fundraising and health promotion initiatives
- Achieve all program benchmarks
- Support implementation of new National initiatives
- Develop strategies for strengthening volunteer structures to ensure increased delivery through volunteer resources
- Ensure the area office develops a strong volunteer structure to support the effective delivery of community activities
- Provide leadership to various committees
- Recruit, orient, support and develop an appropriate mix of volunteers
Operations, Business Planning and Budget Management
- Lead the development and management of area office implementation plans and financial outlooks and budgets
- Develop and implement strategies for growing revenue and community presence through fundraising and volunteer development initiatives
- Identify and analyze potential and opportunities for growth through effective business and strategic analysis; be prepared for weekly status update meetings
- Complete a detailed monthly review of area office spending, revenue and key business indicators against budget and ensure accurate and timely outlook, accounting and reporting of revenue and expenses and analyze and resolve variances
- Strong accountability for results – taking action and ownership to address obstacles and overcome barriers, identifying possible options and alternatives and delivering results within tight timelines
- Familiarize and comply with all Financial, Accounting, IT, Contract and Purchasing Policies and procedures
- Accountable for Health and Safety; understanding of provincial legislation
- Develop and maintain organizational excellence in all aspects of area office operations and management
Lead the development of an effective and high performing area office team, ensuring high standards of delivery, competence and Foundation values are maintained and that individuals are well supported in fulfilling their accountabilities, developing their skills and achieving their career potential. Specifically,
- Work with Human Resources to recruit skilled talent
- Provide clear direction on business goals and priorities
- Establish team performance plan; build a strong team and develop cohesive lateral relationships cross functionally
- Establish individual performance plans and objectives; provide coaching and feedback to direct reports
- Evaluate the performance of direct reports on a regular basis to ensure goals are on track
- Comply with performance review cycle and at a minimum, conduct two formal reviews during the year
- Familiarize and comply with all Human Resources management policies
- Demonstrate the values and competencies of the Foundation through behaviours
- Ensure accurate administration of employee related information: absence records, vacation, title, etc.
- Revenue Responsibility:
- Fundraising revenue: $685,000
- Geographic Territory:
- Office supports the region of: Niagara Falls, St. Catharine’s, Thorold, Fort Erie, Grimsby, Lincoln, Vineland, Jordan Pelham, Welland, Wainfleet, Port Colburn, and Niagara-on-the-lake
- Working environment complexity:
- Moderate complexity – urban and rural
- Volunteer growth and development
- Work with diverse communities
- Reporting Relationships:
- Accountable for area office staff
- Direct Reports: 3
- Area Administrator and 2 Coordinators
- A number of volunteers
- Post-Secondary Education or degree in a related field
- 5-7 years of related experience in a results oriented business environment
- 3 years of management or supervisory experience; leading, managing and coaching teams and achieving results through others
- 2-3 years of proven success in meeting and exceeding fundraising revenue goals; sales experience; working in a metric driven environment
- Implementing and executing established plans
- Volunteer development and management
- Budgeting and financial management experience
- Exceptional customer service and stakeholder experience; understands key internal and external stakeholder objectives
- Demonstrated leadership and partnering with business community events.
- Experience working in a field office environment
- Possess superior organizational skills in planning, executing and completing projects by agreed to deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage a demanding schedule and to evaluate and prioritize activities and focus efforts against key business priorities that add value
- Business Smarts and Innovation; strong planning and implementation skills
- Strong relationship management and rapport building skills; able to influence outcomes, build persuasive arguments and gain support to achieve business goals
- Strong team building and leadership skills; motivates, inspires trust and integrity
- Demonstrated ability to update and maintain database and extract information for forecasting and reports
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills; able to identify issues and proactively search for solutions; make sound decisions and/or recommendations
- Able to handle ambiguity; resourceful
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills
- Proficient PC skills with MS Office and Windows XP
- Travel: Access to personal vehicle and flexibility to travel within area office region
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org . We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca