Position: Advisor, Human Resources (Bilingual - English & French)
Reports to: Human Resources
Location: Toronto or Montreal and Ottawa
Status: Permanent, Full Time
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.™
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
The Advisor, Human Resources is responsible for providing HR support to their assigned client group. Through understanding annual business goals and strategic plans they will be expected to help anticipate, plan for and implement employee solutions that maximize support to the organization. As the first point of contact for requirements related to Human Resources, they are accountable for providing professional, and hands-on operational support to enable the organization to attract, manage, develop and retain employees.
Recruitment & Resourcing
- Work closely with managers to support them in the development of job descriptions
- Create plans to support recruiting needs.
- Using behaviour-focused interviewing methodology, develop interviewing guides to reflect required skill, competency and values requirements.
- Conduct timely, professional and thorough interviews and reference checks to probe/confirm fit, competency and technical skill of candidates.
- Facilitate decision process to conclusion, providing advice and guidance to assist Hiring managers in their decision and to ensure a fair, objective and equitable decision process.
- Prepare offer letters
- Provide advice and counsel on a range of employee relations issues including
- Coaching managers on performance improvement discussions and performance improvement plans. Where deemed necessary, facilitate discussions between manager and employee in helping resolve situation.
- Ensure compliance with HSF policies and employment standards in each and every employee relations situation.
- Planning and facilitating all terminations to ensure Foundation standards and best practices followed.
Performance & Compensation Management
- Support the annual performance appraisal & compensation program roll out
- Work with leaders to help identify and assess HR issues that may be affecting the business performance of the team.
- Identify patterns for attention or action and counsel leaders on approaches and solutions.
- Provide guidance and recommended solutions on a wide array of performance effectiveness issues including, role clarity, structure, performance management, management skills gaps analysis and development plans, talent development, succession planning and team building.
- Proactively work with managers to provide advice and counsel on absence management cases, including Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability.
- Liaise with manager, employee, payroll and insurance provider to coordinate documentation follow-up and ensure compliance with HSF standards and policies
- Facilitate and support effective return to work phase; coordinate with manager to facilitate any accommodation requirements
Training and Orientation Delivery
- As assigned, deliver directly and or co-facilitate delivery of training programs to support Foundation-wide learning needs.
- In conjunction with managers facilitate new employee orientation and on-boarding.
Employee Data Administration/HR Policies & Procedures
- Ensure high general understanding and compliance with HSF HR policies and practices.
- Educate and ensure managers know their accountabilities and obligations in relation to employee management and employee data administration.
Special Projects as assigned
- Assist in special projects supporting National initiatives as required.
- University degree combined with a CHRP designation
Experience and Skills
- Must be fluently bilingual in English and French
- The ideal candidate will have 5-7 years of progressive experience in human resources and an understanding of HR as a strategic function.
- Proven critical thinking and ability to assess risk and create plans to mitigate
- Collaborative HR professional with experience supporting multiple provinces
- Discretion, confidentiality and sound judgment
- Flexibility and ability to work with a wide range of people in building effective relationships
- Strong proficiency in core Microsoft Office suite of products
- Excellent communication skills
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to HSFC.Recruitment@heartandstroke.ca. We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.