Position: Communications Manager – Nova Scotia
Reports to: CEO, Nova Scotia/PEI
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Status: Permanent, Full-Time
THE HEART AND STROKE FOUNDATION
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.TM Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives.TM
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
We are looking for a communications professional who has a passion for community engagement and who is customer service oriented. This position develops and delivers the provincial PR and communications plan laddering up to the national communications plan.
Working closely with the CEO and Director, Communications & Regional Marketing, the Communications Manager develops and implements outstanding communications strategies to: build awareness of Heart and Stroke Foundation and its mission activities; strengthen the Heart and Stroke Foundation brand; and advance philanthropy in support of the Foundation mission.
The Manager ensures communications standards, services and processes are understood and followed and provides guidance and practical support to internal client groups to develop and implement programs that support our mission objectives. The Manager is also an important contributor to our fundraising teams ensuring our events are promoted and successful.
• Implements media relations activities, including preparing media kits, issuing media materials, pitching releases/speakers, coordinating interviews, prepping Heart & Stroke spokespeople, and conducting media and spokesperson follow-up.
• Nurtures provincial media relationships to enhance the ability of the Heart & Stroke to attract media attention/support when needed or desired.
• Represents the province for collective/national communications’ initiatives.
• Manages and administers a portfolio of communications files for Heart & Stroke events and initiatives. Examples include Hockey Heroes Weekend, MOFs and health promotion initiatives. Works collaboratively and cooperatively with Fund Development, Major Gifts, Health Promotion, Research, CEO, and central Comms lead to ensure the Heart & Stroke’s media exposure is strategic, appropriate, within brand, and as cost effective as possible.
• Prepares briefing notes, key messages, media releases, develops fact sheets, and coordinates the mailing out of packages promoting key events.
• Summarizes and distributes relevant media clippings and supports the implementation of communications evaluation efforts.
• Assists in the identification of speakers for Heart & Stroke related events/prepares speaking notes, preps speakers.
• Manages the Heart & Stroke’s website through web-posting, event profiles and development of appropriate websites.
• Ensures provincial initiatives are compliant with brand guidelines, and ensures consistency of brand across all public facing communications’ pieces.
• Represents the Communications Department at management team meetings
• Addresses and finds resolution for the Heart & Stroke’s graphic design needs by working with outside suppliers to seek printing quotes, design quotes, production quotes etc.
• Recommends opportunities to increase Heart & Stroke profile in NS.
• Responsible for communication project budgets.
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations or a related field;
Skills and Experience
• 5 years’ experience in a multi-faceted environment;
• Experience working with media;
• Experience managing multi-faceted communications projects with multiple stakeholders and budgets; able to deal with “natural tensions” that arise with competing priorities for collective and provincial initiatives;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills with experience writing and editing a variety of communications products;
• Excellent interpersonal skills and sound judgment;
• Strong organizational skills, ability to multi-task effectively, and strong attention to detail;
• Ability to work as a team member, as well as independently;
• An understanding of social media formats; their strengths and challenges;
• Strong computer skills particularly in Microsoft Office;
• Knowledge of Adobe suite of products is desirable.
• Experience working with volunteers an asset;
• Knowledge of the non-profit and/or health sector an asset.
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org . We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.
This posting will remain open until February 23, 2018.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.