Position: Manager, Government Relations and Health Promotion
Reports to: CEO- NL
Location: Mount Pearl, NL
Status: .8 FTE (4 days/week)
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.™
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
We are looking for a candidate who has experience and passion for delivering on health promotion initiatives to improve the lives of our communities in Newfoundland and Labrador. The Manager role is important in building and maintaining key stakeholder relations in the province and for ensuring the mission mandates, including health information services, survivor support services and stroke services are achieved in a strategic, effective and efficient manner. The Manager works with the CEO to plan the provincial advocacy process, execute advocacy priorities, and develop advocacy briefs, papers and related documents.
Government and Stakeholder Relations
- Build relationships with federal, provincial, municipal and local authorities, including working with staff to ensure open lines of communication and advancement of H&S mission
- Assist with the development of annual advocacy strategy based on political, social, health and economic factors
- Support the development of healthy public policy at all levels of government
- Develop and maintain effective communication links with associations and regulatory agencies that can assist the Foundation in achieving its mission goals
Mission Advisor and Partner
- Participate on National working groups and committees
- Oversee effective and efficient management of the health promotion, health information services, stroke, and survivor support services portfolios
- Work with the national Mission Leads staff group in planning and implementing national plans in Newfoundland and Labrador, to the extent possible, feasible, and aligned with local and national priorities in mission priority areas
- Represent the Foundation, providing support and leadership as appropriate, in relevant provincial coalitions and alliances
- Act as a Foundation key Mission spokesperson to the media and give presentations to the public and other stakeholders
- Take an active role in the leadership of the H&S team in the office
- Supervise 1 or 2 positions, setting performance goals, coaching and mentoring
University degree in health promotion, health sciences, public/health administration or related field (Master’s degree preferred)
Experience and Skills
- Successful track record in various areas of the field of health promotion, including advocacy, government and community relations
- A minimum of five years of progressive responsibility in health promotion, advocacy, and health systems, including supervisory experience
- Networking experience with government officials and related non-governmental organizations
- Experience with CVD prevention and collaboration with the federal, provincial, regional and municipal governments and their roles in promoting health
- Knowledge of and/or experience with the research process and/or grants management is an asset
- Experience in the not-for-profit sector is considered an asset
- Experience in science and health promotion, social marketing
- Experience working in collaboration with Indigenous communities an asset
- Excellent relationship building skills to generate enthusiasm and motivate staff, key stakeholders, donors and volunteers around a shared vision.
- Well-developed leadership and facilitation skills.
- A strong technical background in program planning and evaluation and a firm grasp of health promotion theory and models is required.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to align competing priorities
- Financial management skills to administer department budgets.
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated strength in both volunteer and staff management
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to email@example.com. We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.