Position: Coordinator, Health Promotion and Communications (NL)
Reports to: Director, Health Promotion/CEO (NL)
Location: Mount Pearl, Newfoundland
Status: Permanent, Full-time
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.™ Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives.™
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
We are looking for a candidate who is a great communicator and team player with experience in community health promotion. This position contributes to two teams – Health Promotion and Communications. Reporting to the Director of Health Promotion, the Coordinator is responsible for the effective delivery of health promotion initiatives including:
- Delivering health promotion and health education activities and programs to meet the vision and mission of the Heart and Stroke Foundation
- Increasing the profile of the Foundation as the authoritative voice on heart disease and stroke.
- Developing and maintaining strong volunteer, partner and stakeholder partnerships
- Providing communications support to the Newfoundland office by coordinating media/communications activities for the fundraising team, working with the central communications team, liaising with media partners, promoting events and organizing media at H & S events.
Coordinate health promotion and health education activities and programs
- Establishes and maintains relationships with other organizations, groups and individuals, as appropriate, in consultation with the Director, Health Promotion to further the mission of the Foundation.
- Delivers health promotion and health education presentations
- Builds awareness of the Foundation’s health resources
- Performs basic resource management functions (work orders, invoicing, product ordering)
- Recruits and integrates volunteers when appropriate into the areas of health promotion and health education
- Plans, promotes and leads community events, presentations and workshops
- Keeps current with emerging cardiovascular health issues and research through continued self-learning and professional development opportunities
- Coordinating media/communications activities with fund raising team and central communications, liaising with media partners, organizing media presence at fund raising events
- Capturing and disseminating newsworthy items
- Promoting HSF profile and mission through print and social media
- College Diploma or University Degree in Health Sciences or related field.
- Courses in communications/marketing/media preferred
Experience and Skills
- Demonstrated working knowledge of cardiovascular and cerebrovascular health and disease conditions
- Experience promoting health initiatives/education in the community would be ideal
- Experience in office coordination/administration
- Experience organizing events would be an asset
- Proven communication, presentation and public speaking skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both written and verbal) with the talent for communicating clearly, simply and concisely verbally and/or in writing in a mature and professional manner
- Experience with various social media platforms required
- Demonstrated ability to establish relevant community networks and community-based education
- Well-developed organizational, time management and priority setting skills
- Computer and social media skills
- Strong customer service orientation
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.
Please include the exact job title in the subject line of your email. This posting will remain open until November 16, 2017.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca.
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.