Position: Senior Specialist, Patient Engagement
Reports to: Senior Manager, Promote Recovery
Department: Health Promotion
Location: Any Heart and Stroke Provincial Office
Status: Permanent; Full-time
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.™ Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives.™
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
We are seeking a flexible, enthusiastic, and dedicated professional for the role of Senior Specialist, Patient Engagement. Reporting to the Senior Manager, Promote Recovery, the Senior Specialist will be responsible for developing, implementing, and managing the Foundation’s patient and care partner engagement activities.
As a subject matter expert on patient and care partner engagement, this individual will bring the voice of people with lived experience to Heart & Stroke and lead initiatives focused on supporting patients and their care partners. The role will support Heart & Stroke in being patient-centric, bringing people with lived experience to organizational activities where patient engagement will maximize our impact. This person will also work in collaboration with employees across the organization, survivors and care partners, external partners, advisory groups, and volunteers to successfully deliver promote recovery and patient engagement initiatives.
Specific examples of this work include supporting the growth and ongoing management of the online Community of Survivors, including identifying, coordinating, and fostering engagement opportunities. The role will also support cross-functional initiatives in the organization by facilitating patient engagement in order to ensure public relevance and organizational impact. This individual will engage with people impacted by heart disease and stroke to steward and support them as they volunteer to help us achieve our mission. This includes support for individual patients and their care partners who volunteer their time to activities such as becoming research council members, providing guidance through advisory roles/groups, and acting as spokespeople for the organization and other key volunteer roles.
- Implementing and supporting organizational patient and care partner engagement activities such as participation in advisory committees and councils, provision of input into programs and resources, and spokespeople / ambassadors for mission activities
- Ensuring ongoing vitality and management of the Foundation’s online Community of Survivors
- Identifying and developing pathways for patient engagement with Heart & Stroke
- Working/collaborating with other organizations involved in patient engagement
- Monitoring and reporting on progress against Promote Recovery and Patient Engagement goals and metrics
- Facilitating the participation of those we engage with relevant tools, knowledge, and psychosocial support
- Representing the organization as a subject matter expert in patient engagement
- Liaise with cross-functional Heart & Stroke teams who can benefit from patient and care partner engagement, and identify patients/care-partner volunteers who may want to engage in mission-related activities
- Collaborate with the Online Community Manager/Moderator to identify and recruit online community participants for direct engagement work with Heart & Stroke
- Stewarding and supporting key patient and care partner volunteers such as Mission Critical Area council members with lived experience
- Fostering relationships with patient groups, key volunteers, and patient spokespeople
- Acting as a patient and care partner advocate with internal and external partners
- Degree/diploma in Social Work, Social Sciences, Health Care, or related field
Experience and Skills
- Minimum of 3 years’ related experience focused on patient and/or public engagement
- Demonstrated experience working with volunteers/patients and stewarding these relationships
- Relevant work with organizations or roles that apply the principle of being patient centric
- Demonstrated ability to build and implement patient engagement programs/tactics
- Applicable knowledge of the digital space and online communities
- Strong relationship management skill required, including empathy and caring
- Ability to engage and connect patients or patient groups with the foundation
- Knowledge of best practices in patient engagement frameworks and related tools
- Ability to communicate clearly to internal and external stakeholders about patient engagement concepts and benefits
- Team player; ability to work well and efficiently with cross-functional teams
- Creative thinking and ability to apply innovative solutions
- Ability to work independently with a positive outlook
- Passionate about engaging people with lived experience
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org immediately. Please include the reference number SSPE2017 and your name (first and last) in the email subject. This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, and dental and medical coverage.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca