Position: Communications Manager, Manitoba/Saskatchewan
Reports to: CEO- Manitoba/Saskatchewan
Department: Communications and Marketing
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Status: Permanent, Full-Time
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.™
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
We are looking for an experienced communications partner who is inspired by our mission and who wants to contribute to our unique fund raising and health promotion/advocacy environment.
As our Communications Manager you will support two provinces by developing and implementing outstanding communications strategies to: build awareness of Heart and Stroke Foundation and its mission activities; strengthen the Heart and Stroke Foundation brand; and advance philanthropy in support of the Foundation mission.
The Communications Manager will develop and deliver the provincial PR and communications plan laddering up to the national communications plan, manage communications standards, services and processes and will provide counsel, guidance, and practical support as the provincial communications advisor partnering with internal client groups to develop and implement programs that support our mission and fundraising objectives.
- Partners with internal provincial client groups to develop and implement communications strategies and activities that support their goals, leveraging where possible consistent national resources (such as templates, core content, modules, brand assets, etc.) including:
- Fundraising programs (philanthropy, corporate partnerships, community development). This may include: special events support, speeches and presentations, media relations, materials, recognition and stewardship support.
- Mission client groups (research, advocacy and health promotions). This may include: development of communications plans and strategies, support for special events, speeches and presentations, media relations, materials and online and social media content.
- Assigned national portfolios: as part of national communications group either supports or leads portfolio programs acting as communications consultant for assigned client groups in delivery of national communications objectives.
- Executive team: actively seeks opportunities to position the Foundation through building public profile for executives through development of outstanding speeches, presentations, key messaging, briefing notes, and supports Director and executive team through providing counsel on issues management.
- Positions the Foundation as the authoritative voice for cardiovascular disease and stroke through building and maintaining a leading media relations program, building and maintaining strong relationships with print, broadcast, community and other (i.e. ethnic, at risk populations, specific target)media outlets, positioning the Foundation as a leading health charity in the community.
- Develops annual and longer term public relations plan for the province, incorporating consultation with mission program leads and fundraising leads and ensuring integration within the national communications plan.
- Delivers on public relations plans through use of traditional, online and social media initiatives, in conjunction with the Social Media & Community Manager, including: writing news releases, briefing notes, key messages, PSA materials, and leveraging Facebook, blogging, Twitter, engagement of social media influencers and use of other social channels to maximize media reach.
- Manages strategic content curation for provincial digital assets in conjunction with the Social Media & Community Manager and Digital team, to attract, educate, inform and help stakeholders.
- Moderates social media engagement on provincial and national social media properties, in conjunction with the Social Media & Community Manager, ensuring that policies and guidelines are adhered to in responding to inquiries and promoting the Foundation’s mission through positive dialogue.
- Develops and maintains positive relations with media contacts, and disseminates national and provincial campaign and media materials as required.
- Completes pre- and post- project and media effectiveness evaluations and provides reports in a timely manner, including maintaining media coverage monitoring and earned media metrics and reporting on localized components of national campaigns.
- University or College degree in communications, public relations, marketing or business; or related technical degree and combination of equivalent extensive background with strong communications and marketing experience.
Experience and Skills
- Minimum 5 years related work experience-experience (non-profit and/or healthcare industry preferred).
- Knowledge of the local market, media connections and understanding of healthcare networks considered valuable.
- Ability to align plans and activities with organizational goals and objectives and experience in advising senior decision makers.
- Experience managing engagement programs in multi-stakeholder environments and with developing community partnerships to further the mission of an organization.
- Proven success in content management, developing and implementing communications, public relations and marketing plans.
- Multi-faceted experience with media at both regional and community level, including print, broadcast and community and ethnic/ targeted outlets.
- Superb written communications and editorial skills in different media, with commitment to quality and strategic understanding of message positioning, information design and usability.
- Superior verbal communications and interpersonal skills, with the ability to deal with all levels of staff, volunteers and suppliers, providing impeccable customer service.
- Experience with media monitoring and tracking software and social media dashboards is required.
- Excellent MS Office computer skills (Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, ability to multi-task and work under tight deadlines with advanced organization skills and strong attention to detail.
- Significant experience working with external suppliers, specifically PR professionals, event managers, writers, designers, print production, digital and social media, agencies and research providers.
- Capacity to learn and retain new technologies quickly and be able to share new information in a useful manner with others; handle a steep learning curve and manage competing priorities.
- Dedicated team player possessing an unflappable positive ‘can do’ attitude, with demonstrated innovation, creativity and resourcefulness in the form of continuous improvement to internal processes, able to work independently and to collaborate.
- Kintera, Wordpress or other blogging platforms, Raisers Edge, Adobe suite and other software / social media technology experience an asset.
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.
This posting will remain open until September 26, 2018.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.