Position: Senior Specialist, Volunteer Engagement
Department: Community Engagement
Reports to: Manager, Community Engagement
Status: Full time, Permanent
Location: Vancouver, BC
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.™ Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives.™
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
We are looking for a dynamic, flexible, strategic professional for the role of Senior Specialist, Volunteer Engagement in our BC Provincial Office. Reporting to the Manager, Community Engagement, this position is responsible for developing and implementing the Volunteer Engagement Plan, aligning with the principles and processes of HSF’s Volunteer Engagement Strategy, to meet Foundation priorities, and support BC based volunteers and staff to meet departmental and program needs. The Senior Specialist, Volunteer Engagement will provide a broad range of support for the Volunteer Engagement programs in BC, contribute to the development of national volunteer initiatives (e.g., National Volunteer Week), and support Community Engagement.
Program Development and Implementation
- Working with the Manager, Community Engagement take lead accountability in developing, implementing and evaluating the annual community-based volunteer engagement plan, aligned with Foundation priorities and identified program needs
- Provide expertise and support to teams on the design of solid volunteer structures to achieve department and program plans
- Support department and program areas in developing and implementing plans to identify and fill recruitment needs, orient & train, recognize, and steward (including succession planning for key roles) volunteers
- Proactively connect with Regional Director, Area Managers and Program leads to assess volunteer needs, successes, challenges, gaps and opportunities
- On an ongoing basis, liaise with national, provincial, and local volunteer leads to share successes, best practices, and challenges, problem-solve together, and develop recommendations to foster improved volunteer engagement
- Lead activities related to assessing the effectiveness of HSF’s community-based volunteer programs and resources
- Work with external and internal data and information to understand and analyze trends within BC, to identify solutions to problems, areas to improve efficiencies, and opportunities for growth
- Strengthen the reliability, relevance, and utility of HSF’s volunteer information management systems through ensuring employees are reliably and consistently following the CRM guidelines and processes in
- Identify and participate in learning and networking opportunities both internally and externally that can build relationships and leverage volunteer growth at provincial and local levels
Support HSF’s Volunteer Engagement Lifecycle
- Collaborate with and support the Foundation’s Volunteer Engagement Strategy Team by participating in discussions and meetings, contributing to the development of national volunteer best practices and tools, sharing provincial best practices and tools, surfacing issues requiring broader attention, and executing plans as needed
- As the “centre of expertise” for the province, support employees to apply the principles, processes and tools associated with HSF’s volunteer engagement lifecycle (Recruitment, Orientation/Training, Recognition, Stewardship) to achieve solid levels of volunteer engagement and retention
- Support the training of employees and leadership volunteers where applicable on core Foundation volunteer recruitment, orientation/training, recognition and stewardship principles, programs, and processes
- Organize, facilitate, and evaluate volunteer development training sessions as required and/or to address emerging needs
- Lead the development of content related communication for volunteer management as required
- Identify volunteer stories and share with Manager, Community Engagement or Marketing & Communications
- Contribute to the development of national volunteer recognition programs, lead and/or support the implementation of provincial Volunteer Recognition Programs including National Volunteer Week, the Annual Gold Heart Canvasser Event and other volunteer recognition events (e.g. Provincial Awards programs)
- Responsible for Inventory Management supporting recognition events and programs
- Manage day to day volunteer enquiries and direct them as appropriate to ensure a great volunteer experience
- Establish and monitor against specified volunteer engagement metrics to assess success and areas requiring improvement or development
- Degree/diploma/certificate in Volunteer Management or equivalent experience is required
- Minimum 5 years related work experience or proven track record working within volunteer enabled environment
- Knowledgeable about volunteer engagement lifecycle best practices
- Initiative, planning, and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Strong organizational, time management, and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Excellent relationship building skills in working with employees and volunteers (at all levels)
- Demonstrated ability to motivate, influence, and bring individuals and teams together effectively to accomplish a shared goal; ability to influence without authority
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Excel
- Must have ability to travel occasionally; access to car
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Please include the reference number SSVEBC0717 and your name (first and last) in the subject line of your email.
We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.