Position: Regional Director, Community Engagement
Reports to: National Director, Community Engagement and CEO, BC & Yukon
Department: Community Engagement
Location: Vancouver, BC
Status: Permanent; Full-time
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.™ Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives.™
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
Are you a seasoned leader who enjoys building high performing teams? Are you seen as a mentor and coach who is able to achieve goals through others? Then this is the opportunity for you!
The Community Engagement Team is a strong, dynamic, and focused field team that is responsible for driving significant revenue growth through community-based fundraising programs, while developing a strong volunteer network and community relationships. It is this team that plays a significant role at the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada in raising the funds that enable the Foundation to deliver its critical mission and reduce the impact of heart disease and stroke.
The Regional Director, Community Engagement for BC & Yukon leads the execution of the national strategy for the effective delivery of community fundraising and volunteer engagement through communities in British Columbia and Yukon. The Regional Director is responsible for meeting fundraising and volunteer development goals by overseeing delivery of fundraising programs through effective volunteer and employee deployment. The Regional Director also acts as an ambassador of the Foundation’s mission to internal and external audiences.
Fundraising revenue and volunteer development:
- Responsible for regional revenue budget of over $6 million
- Work collaboratively with the Provincial CEO; VP, Community Engagement; National Director, Community Engagement; and Program Directors to establish realistic revenue goals for each program, on annual basis
- Play a leadership role in the development of the revenue growth strategy for the region ensuring strong integration of the community based initiatives with other Foundation departments including corporate partnerships, major gifts (Development) and community mission initiatives
- Provide leadership to the team in developing implementation plans and motivating teams to achieve revenue objectives
- Monitor and analyze the performance of the community fundraising and volunteer development programs within the region and makes adjustments to plans to minimize business risks and maximize profitability
- Accountable for achieving community based fundraising goals in region
- Manage, coordinate, and provide ongoing evaluation of the activities of the province to achieve established revenue goals
- Develop and implement strategies to build lasting and meaningful relationship with volunteers, donors and event participants within the province
- Play a National leadership role in the execution of a key Community Engagement fundraising program as required
- Ensure effective implementation of the Foundation’s Volunteer Engagement strategy
- Represent the Foundation and speak at community events across the province
Human resources management:
- Lead the development of an effective and high performing regional team, ensuring high standards of delivery and competence
- Support individuals in fulfilling accountabilities, developing their skills, and achieving their career potential
- Provide clear direction on business goals and priorities; ensure optimal deployment of resources to achieve business goals
- Identify development opportunities that exist and put appropriate strategies in place
- Establish individual performance plans and objectives; provide coaching, leadership, and feedback to direct reports
- Develop Managers to be strong people leaders, enabling the development of a high performing team by following established best practices
- Evaluate the performance of direct reports on a regular basis; ensure goals are on track
- Develop succession and leadership development plans
- Recruit skilled talent in support of current and future Foundation needs following Foundation policies and assessment guidelines
- Holds self and others accountable for agreed upon commitments, actions taken/not taken, and ensuing outcomes
- Advocates for and leads by example in creating a culture that aligns to the organization’s values
- Six (6) Area Managers
- One (1) Manager, Community Engagement
- Valid driver’s license and access to personal vehicle
- Flexibility to travel throughout region to visit area offices approximately 2-3 days per week, depending on the time of year
- University degree
- 10+ years fundraising and/or related experience
- Strong understanding of fundraising management and volunteer engagement
- Experience in leading and managing a team from a distance and achieving results through others
- Budgeting and financial management experience
- Demonstrated ability to identify and create plans that connect strategic business objectives to coaching and performance solutions
- Strong business sense and demonstrated ability to understand fundraising, volunteer and business needs
- Ability to translate organizational strategies into concrete business plans and establishes accountability systems to review activities and goals against strategies
- Simultaneously keeps track of day-to-day business, emerging opportunities, risks and broader issues; considers different options and takes necessary action
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building/management skills
- High energy and ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Flexibility, and adaptable to rapidly changing priorities
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume, cover letter, and salary expectations to email@example.com immediately. Please include the reference number RDCE2018BC and your name (first and last) in the subject line of your email. This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
We offer comprehensive benefits, including pension, and dental and medical coverage.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.