Position: Advisor, Development
Reports to: Director, Development
Location: Vancouver, BC
Status: Permanent; Full-time
The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.™ Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives.™
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
We are seeking a driven, goal-oriented, and interpersonal professional for the role of Advisor, Development in our BC Provincial Office in Vancouver. The Advisor is responsible for identifying and qualifying prospective donors, cultivating positive relationships, soliciting major gifts/sponsorships, and stewarding donors and corporate partners. This position is responsible for raising funds from individual, corporate (philanthropic and sponsorship), foundation/organization, and legacy gifts to advance the Foundation’s mission priorities and impact. Reporting to the Director, Development, the Advisor is a team player who sets high standards and has the ability to think strategically and deliver results. The Advisor, Development will possess the skills, experience, energy, and determination to contribute to growing the fund development revenue results of the Foundation.
A mastery of the technical aspects of fund development and commitment to the principles of a culture of philanthropy is required along with a genuine interest for interacting with people. This includes excellent communication and relationship-building skills with donors, volunteers, and staff.
Identification & Cultivation (40%):
- Strategically and compellingly align prospect/supporter/corporate interests with the organization’s project needs and funding requirements
- Identify and qualify gift and supporter involvement primarily, though not exclusively, from the levels of $5,000 and beyond
- Effectively and successfully integrate the Heart and Stroke Foundation case for support, approved case statements, goals and objectives, programs, and services in achieving organizational goals
- Develop Individual donor and Corporate Partnership cultivation and solicitation strategies for assigned prospects
- Contribute to the research and identification of new prospects, working cooperatively with the national team and other development personnel in the process of prospect management and advancement with the goal of finding the best fit between prospects and the highest-level priorities
- Ensure effective, personal, meaningful, and continuous forms of engagement opportunities
Solicitation, Stewardship and Recognition (40%):
- Conduct integrated solicitation efforts in support of highest priority need areas of Heart and Stroke Foundation as identified by the Case for Support and the Strategic Plan
- Prepare solicitations through to closure independently or working with volunteer leadership, as appropriate
- Deliver prompt, personal, and meaningful gift / sponsorship acknowledgement
- Ensure appropriate and agreed-upon recognition and thorough stewardship including follow-through on the implementation and administration of the funds and related expenditures
- Support national team and manage local initiatives and events focused on donor and sponsor recognition and events
Administration and Metrics Analytics (15%):
- Effectively manage donor moves and adhere to internal protocols and processes; enter prospect and donor/partner information into the database, and handle all confidential donor information in a sensitive and ethical manner
- Anticipate and plan for future events, trends, problems, and opportunities, and exercise sound judgment
- Conduct the necessary analysis of revenue (raised/received) and expenses
- Keep the Director, Development informed of events, activities, and emerging issues as required
Operations, Business Planning and Budget Management (5%):
- Be part of the development and management of annual business plans and financial outlooks and budgets; complete a detailed monthly review of spending against budget and ensure accurate and timely accounting and reporting of expenses and analyze and resolve variances
- Familiarize and comply with all Heart & Stroke policies, procedures, and practices. Ensure supplier relationships are properly established, clearly documented and managed in accordance with Policies
- Degree or diploma in marketing, communications or business.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel in own vehicle
- Bilingualism (English and Mandarin) would be an asset
- 3 to 5 years in fundraising, including Major Gifts and/or Corporate Partnerships
- Demonstrated business experience in sponsorship or major proposal building is valuable
- Proven ability to work successfully with high profile corporate, individual, and community leaders
- Outstanding organizational, motivational, and people skills
- Exceptional communications skills: listening, oral, written, presentation, and public speaking
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and manage timelines, goals, and expectations
- Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge or other fundraising specific database
- Experience closing philanthropic gifts or sponsorships at the $5,000 plus level and managing a portfolio of at least 100 individual and corporate supporters and prospects is essential
- Well known for being a strong, positive team player with a collaborative work style who thrives in a highly competitive industry and fast-paced work environment
- Familiarity with non-profit and corporate communities in British Columbia is an asset
- CRFE designation preferred
- Experience working in a large, complex organization
- A track record of soliciting and closing gifts at the $10,000 plus level
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to email@example.com immediately. Please include the reference number AD201702BC and your name (first and last) in the subject line of your email. This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, and dental and medical coverage.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.