The Public Access to Defibrillation Volunteer will work towards Heart and Stroke’s mission priority of enabling faster, better cardiac emergency response and treatment. With support from the Resuscitation Program Manager, the volunteer will support communities in ensuring their automated external defibrillators (AEDs) are rescue ready.
Heart & Stroke, in partnership with the provincial and federal government, has placed over 1,150 AEDs at venues across BC. This initiative is called the BC Public Access to Defibrillation program (BC PAD). Using resources provided to them, the volunteer will provide support to venues over the phone. Support may include answering frequently asked questions about BC PAD, directing contacts to necessary resources, or leaving voicemail messages.
#200-1212 West Broadway
Minimum of 3-hours per week during office hours (Mon-Fri 9am – 4pm). Option for more hours per week. Length of commitment to be discussed.
- Support venues using clear communication and the resources at your disposal
- Answer questions and inform venues about the BC PAD program and registry
- Connect people to important community supports and services
- Track your progress as you advance
Qualities you’ll need for this role:
- You enjoy connecting with people over the phone
- You are able to communicate information clearly and make suggestions
- You are comfortable performing simple actions in Microsoft Excel
- You want to support communities to become safer
What you’ll get from the experience:
- Role-specific training and an orientation to the Heart & Stroke Foundation
- Opportunity to support the provincial cardiac emergency response network in a tangible and impactful way
- Chance to gain valuable skills in communication
- Exposure to a non-profit environment and cardiac arrest systems
- Invitations to ongoing training, when available
- Opportunity to work directly with the Manager, Resuscitation Program.
To become a Public Access to Defibrillation volunteer, please email Gillian, firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Application- PAD Volunteer”
In the body of the email, provide contact information and let us know:
- Why you are interested in becoming a PAD volunteer?
- If you are comfortable performing simple actions in Microsoft Excel (Yes/No)
- If you are able to volunteer during weekdays for a minimum of 3 hours per week (Yes/No)
- What is most important to you when you volunteer?
- When is the best time to connect with you?