Changing public policy to create healthier environments could not happen without the backing and support of the millions of Canadians who are the public.
Here’s a sampling of victories we’ve achieved together by influencing public policy through advocacy:
- Made public spaces in Canada smoke-free
- Reduced tobacco’s appeal with more impactful package warnings and higher taxes
- Protected vulnerable youth by removing many flavoured tobacco products from the market
- Worked with the federal government to place automated external defibrillators (AEDs) in recreation facilities across Canada — greatly increasing survival rates from cardiac arrest
- Significantly reduced the amount of dangerous trans fats in our food supply.
Advocacy is a key to the Heart & Stroke vision of healthy lives free of heart disease and stroke. Together we will make it happen.
Advocating through research
Your generous donations help fund the research that is critical to preventing heart disease and stroke. Heart & Stroke Position Statements encapsulate the latest scientific evidence relating to heart disease, stroke and healthy living. They are a key advocacy tool, and authoritative sources of research that we can put in front of policy makers.