4 servings / 45 min
Prep 15 min /Refrigeration 30 min
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) white wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 6 triangle slices watermelon, each 3 inches (7.5 cm) wide by ½ inch (1 cm) thick
- 4 balls (each 1-1/2 inches/3.5 cm) reduced fat bocconcini cheese (about 3-1/2 oz/100 g)
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 12 very small fresh basil leaves
- 12 toothpicks
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- In a large shallow dish or container, combine vinegar, chopped basil and pepper.
- Cut rind from each watermelon slice straight across to form a triangle; cut each slice in half on a diagonal to make 2 triangles. Cut each bocconcini cheese ball into 6 slices, for 24 slices total.
- Add watermelon and bocconcini slices to vinegar mixture, tilting dish to coat. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- Cut tomatoes crosswise into twelve slices, each about 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) thick. Dip into marinade to coat both sides.
- For each stack, layer a slice of melon, a slice of bocconcini, a slice of plum tomato, then another slice of bocconcini. Top with a basil leaf and stick a toothpick vertically in the centre to secure stacks. Discard excess marinade.
- Arrange stacks on a platter or individual serving plates and sprinkle with fresh cracked pepper.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 4)
- Calories 76
- Protein 6 g
- Total Fat 3 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 13 mg
- Carbohydrates 4 g
Fibre 1 g
Sugars 2 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 7 mg
- Potassium 117 mg