4-6 servings / 26 min
Prep 10 min / Cook 16 min
- 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tsp (7 mL) ground turmeric
- 1 cup (250 mL) basmati rice
- 2 cups (500 mL) sodium reduced vegetable broth
- ½ cup (125 mL) water
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) sliced almonds, toasted
- In saucepan, heat oil over medium heat and cook onions, ginger, garlic and turmeric for 3 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in rice and stir to coat. Add broth and water and bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff with fork and sprinkle with almonds to serve.
Tip: To toast almonds place in small nonstick skillet set over medium heat and shake pan occasionally for about 4 minutes or until golden and fragrant.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 4)
- Calories: 288
- Protein: 6 g
- Total fat: 4 g
Saturated fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Carbohydrate: 55 g
Fibre: 3 g
Sugar: 2 g
Added sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 187 mg
- Potassium: 140 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2011.