8 servings / 3 hrs 15 min – 8 hrs 15 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 3-8 hrs
Chili is pure comfort food and so easy to prepare. This version is made with turkey and mouth-watering cubes of cheddar stirred right in. Serve with bowls of yogurt, chopped tomatoes and diced avocado.
- 1 lb (500 g) extra-lean ground turkey or chicken
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cans (each 19 oz/540 mL) mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (5.5 oz/156 mL) no-salt added tomato paste
- 2 cups (500 mL) frozen corn kernels
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) pre-shredded carrots
- 2 to 3 tbsp (30 to 45 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 1 2/3 cup (400 mL) small cubes lower fat Canadian Cheddar cheese or 3/4 cup (180 ml) small cubes regular Canadian Cheddar cheese
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey, garlic and onion, cook breaking up turkey with a spoon, for about 8 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in a 5 to 6 1/2 quart (5 to 6.5 L) slow cooker, combine beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, corn, carrots, chili powder to taste, cumin, hot pepper sauce and pepper. With a slotted spoon transfer turkey mixture to slow cooker and stir; discarding any fat left in the pan. Cover with lid and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours or until chili is hot and bubbling.
- Stir in cheddar cheese.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 8)
- Calories: 336
- Protein: 26 g
- Total Fat: 10 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Cholesterol: 65 mg
- Carbohydrates: 38 g
Fibre: 10 g
Sugars: 8 g
Added Sugars: 0 g
- Sodium: 575 mg
- Potassium: 1122 mg