4 servings / 45 mins
Prep 20 min / Cook 25 min
Marinating the chicken in yogurt gives it a moist, tender texture and tempers the curry spices making this a mild, yet aromatic and flavourful dish. The cumin and cilantro yogurt for the topping adds just the right zest and tang.
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) 2% plain yogurt, divided
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) tikka, tandoori or other mild curry paste
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lime zest
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter or vegetable oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) no-salt-added canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) cornstarch
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen green peas, thawed, or chopped green beans
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 2 tsp (10 mL) freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups (500 mL) hot cooked brown rice
- In a bowl, combine 3/4 cup (175 mL) of the yogurt, the tikka paste and lime zest; add chicken and stir to coat well. Let marinate at room temperature for 10 minutes or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; sauté onion and garlic for 3 minutes or until starting to soften. Add sweet red pepper and sauté for 3 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in tomatoes and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring often, for about 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Sprinkle cornstarch over chicken mixture and stir to combine. Add to skillet with peas, stirring well. Simmer, stirring often, for about 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside and sauce is thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk ground cumin, lime juice and cilantro into remaining 3/4 cup (175 mL) yogurt. Serve chicken in sauce on rice, topped with yogurt.
Nutritional info per serving : 1 of 4
- Calories 459
- Protein 40 g
- Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 105 mg
- Carbohydrates 53 g
Fibre 9 g
Sugars 14 g
Added sugar 0 g
- Sodium 181 mg
- Potassium 1183 mg