6 servings (36 meatballs) / 1 hr 15 min
Prep 25 min / Cook 50 min
- 1 spaghetti squash (about 1.25 kg/2 1/2 lbs)
- 250 g (8 oz) extra lean ground turkey or chicken
- 75 mL (1/3 cup) seasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 750 mL (3 cups) no salt added chicken or sodium reduced vegetable broth
- 1 green onion, sliced or 15 mL (1 tbsp) chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place cut side down on parchment or foil lined baking pan and prick skin all over with a fork. Roast in 190°C (375°F) oven for about 45 minutes or until very tender when pierced with knife; set aside.
- In bowl, stir together turkey, breadcrumbs and egg until firm. Using heaping teaspoonful (5 mL) roll into small balls; set aside.
- In saucepan, bring broth, onion, if using and garlic to simmer and add meatballs. Cook, stirring gently for 5 minutes or until no longer pink inside.
- Using fork, scrape squash out of skin into long strands and divide among shallow bowls and ladle meatballs and broth over top to serve. Sprinkle with cheese before serving.
Nutritional info per serving(6 of 36 meatballs per serving; about 150 mL/2/3 cup of spaghetti squash; 125 mL/1/2 cup broth)
- Calories: 158
- Protein: 12 g
- Total fat: 6 g
Saturated fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 60 mg
- Carbohydrate: 15 g
Fibre: 2 g
Sugar: 1 g
Added Sugars: 0 g
- Sodium: 243 mg
- Potassium: 337 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2011.