8 servings / 1 hr 30 min
Prep 10 min / Cook 1 hr 20 min
The ultimate comfort food makes a satisfying dinner then doubles for lunches through the week. Roast two chickens then use leftovers for the soup, wraps and quesadillas below.
- 2 whole chickens, about 3 lb/1.5 kg each
- 2 small onions, halved
- 1 small lemon, halved
- 10 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° F (200° C).
- Place onion and lemon half in each of the chicken cavities along with 4 of the thyme sprigs. Place on rack in roasting pan. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with pepper and remaining 2 sprigs of thyme.
- Roast in oven for 1 hour. Cover lightly with foil and continue roasting for about 20 minutes or until thermometer inserted in thigh reaches 170° F (80° C). Set aside to rest.
- Enjoy the chicken alongside your favourite side dishes. Then remove skin and bones from remaining meat and refrigerate. Use leftover meat (about 4 cups or 1 L from one chicken) in these packable lunches:
Chicken and vegetable soup: Add 2 cups (500 mL) chopped cooked chicken and 2 cups (500 mL) frozen diced vegetables to 4 cups (1 L) no salt added chicken broth and heat through before packing in a thermos.
Chicken wrap: Stir together 3/4 cup (175 mL) chopped cooked chicken with 2 tbsp (25 mL) hummus and spread over large whole wheat tortilla. Top with lettuce and roll up.
Chicken quesadillas: Divide 2 cups (500 mL) of chopped cooked chicken among 4 small whole wheat tortillas. Chop 1 red pepper and 2 green onions and divide over top of chicken. Sprinkle each with 2 tbsp (25 mL) crumbled goat cheese or grated light cheddar cheese. Fold in half and brown both sides in nonstick skillet or grill pan.
Nutritional info per serving (1 cup/250 ml)
- Calories 209
- Protein 32 g
- Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 98 mg
- Carbohydrates 0 g
Fibre 0 g
Total sugars 0 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 95 mg
- Potassium 268 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2016.