4 servings / 1 hr – 1 hr 10 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 45-55 min
You don’t need a weekend or a special occasion for a lovely roast chicken dinner. This meal is easy to assemble and then you let the oven do the work. Serve with veggies.
- 1 cup (250 mL) long-grain parboiled brown rice
- 4 cups (1 L) water
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 tart cooking apples, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried sage or thyme
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, each about 4 oz (125 g)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 3/4 oz (80 g) lower fat Monterey Jack or swiss cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup/175 mL) or 2 oz (60 g) regular Canadian Monterey Jack or swiss cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup/125 mL)
- In a saucepan, combine rice and water; bring to a boil over high heat. Cover with lid slightly ajar, reduce heat to medium-low and boil gently for 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is almost tender. Spoon off 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the cooking liquid and reserve; drain off any remaining liquid.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Lightly oil a 13 x 9-inch (2.5L) glass baking dish. Add rice, reserved cooking liquid, celery, apples, onion, sage and pepper to baking dish and stir to combine.
- Place chicken breasts on top and lightly brush with oil. Cover dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for 5 to 10 minutes more, or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of chicken registers 170°F (77°C) and chicken is no longer pink inside. Sprinkle cheese evenly over casserole and broil for about 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 4)
- Calories: 447
- Protein: 37 g
- Total Fat: 10 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Cholesterol: 94 mg
- Carbohydrates: 51 g
Fibre: 5 g
Sugars: 11 g
Added Sugars: 0 g
- Sodium: 285 mg
- Potassium: 760 mg