4 portions / 45 min
Prep 10 min / Cook 35 min
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) tri colour quinoa, rinsed
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground flax
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) water
- 1 lb (454 g) ground turkey
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) fresh ground pepper
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) ketchup (optional)
- In a non-stick skillet set over medium heat, cook quinoa for about 5 minutes or until it starts to pop. Stir in oil, onion, garlic and thyme leaves and cook for about 3 minutes or until onion is softened. Let cool slightly.
- In a bowl, combine flax with water; let stand for 1 minute. Stir in turkey, cooked quinoa mixture, tomato paste and pepper until well combined.
- Shape into 4 small ovals and place on parchment paper or foil lined baking sheet. Brush with ketchup, if using
- Bake in 375° F (190° C) oven for about 25 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 165° F (70° C).
Tip: Bake these meatloaves and freeze for a lunch or dinner later in the week. You can substitute regular quinoa for the tri colour.
Nutritional information per serving ( 1 meatloaf)
- Calories: 290
- Protein: 26 g
- Total fat: 11 g
- Saturated fat: 2.5 g
- Cholesterol: 100 g
- Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Fibre: 3 g
- Sugars: 3 g
- Added sugars: 0 g
- Sodium: 80 mg
- Potassium: 548 mg