6 servings / 30 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 15 min
For a variation, toss the lettuce and meat filling together for a hearty salad, or serve the meat as a topping over nachos made with baked whole grain, low sodium tortilla chips.
- 400 g (12 oz) extra lean ground chicken or turkey
- 10 mL (2 tsp) canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) chili powder
- 10 mL (2 tsp) dried oregano
- 5 mL (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 250 mL (1 cup) corn kernels
- 175 mL (3/4 cup) no salt added chicken broth
- 5 mL (1 tsp) cornstarch
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large head Boston lettuce
- In large non-stick skillet brown turkey over medium high heat until no longer pink inside. Drain in colander.
- Return skillet to medium heat and add oil. Cook onion, garlic, chili powder, oregano and cumin for about 3 minutes or until softened. Return turkey to skillet and add beans and corn. Cook stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Whisk together chicken broth and cornstarch; add to skillet and cook stirring for 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in parsley.
- Spoon into lettuce leaves on individual plates and wrap.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 6)
- Calories: 221
- Protein: 18 g
- Total Fat: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 53 mg
- Carbohydrate: 22 g
Fibre: 6 g
Sugars: 3 g
Added Sugars: 0 g
- Sodium: 247 mg
- Potassium: 770 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2011.