4 servings / 35 min
Prep 10 min / Cook 25 min
A fragrant tomato sauce is the perfect way to add flavour and poach the eggs to enjoy over noodles. Leftovers make a great thermos lunch the next day.
- 2 tsp (10 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 1 bottle (700 mL) passata (strained tomatoes)
- 1 pkg (5 oz/142 g) baby spinach, chopped
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, diced
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) fresh ground pepper
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) fresh grated Parmesan
- 3 cups (750 mL) egg white broad pasta noodles
- In a large ovenproof nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook shallot, garlic, oregano and hot pepper flakes. Pour in passata and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and pepper; cook for 5 minutes or until wilted.
- Crack eggs, one at a time into a small bowl and slip eggs into simmering sauce. Sprinkle with ground pepper. Place in preheated 400 F (200 C) oven for about 10 minutes or until eggs set or cooked to desired doneness.
- Meanwhile, in a pot of boiling water, cook noodles for about 8 minutes or until tender but firm. Drain well and keep warm.
- Sprinkle eggs with cheese and spoon with sauce over top of noodles to serve.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 4)
- Calories 370
- Protein 20 g
- Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 220 mg
- Carbohydrates 51 g
Fibre 6 g
Sugar 9 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 540 mg
- Potassium 350 mg