4 servings / 1 hour 10 min
Prep 20 min / Cook 50 min
- 2 cups (500 mL) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water, divided
- 1 cup (250 mL) pot or pearl barley
- 1 lb (500 g) pork tenderloin, trimmed
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter, divided
- 4 cups (1 L) thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried dill weed
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) caraway seeds (optional)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cooking apples, cut lengthwise into thin wedges
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 2 cups (500 mL) 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C). Butter a 13 x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm) glass baking dish.
- In a glass measuring cup in the microwave, or in a small saucepan, bring broth and 1/4 cup (50 mL) water to a boil on high.
- In prepared baking dish, combine barley and boiling broth mixture. Cover dish tightly with foil. Bake for 25 minutes, until barley is slightly softened.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle pork all over with about 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) of the pepper.
- In a large skillet, melt half of the butter over medium-high heat. Add pork and cook, turning to brown all sides, for about 5 minutes total. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add sliced cabbage, dill, caraway seeds (if using) and half of the remaining pepper to the skillet; sauté for about 5 minutes or until cabbage is wilted. Pour in remaining 1/4 cup (50 mL) water. Remove from heat.
- Remove baking dish from oven. Stir cabbage mixture into barley and spread out in dish; nestle pork in the centre of the dish. Cover again with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- While pork bakes, return skillet to medium heat; add remaining butter and swirl to coat pan. Add onion, apples and remaining pepper; sauté for about 5 minutes or until onion is softened. Whisk flour and mustard into milk; gradually pour into skillet, stirring. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring often. Boil, stirring, for about 2 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Uncover baking dish and pour sauce evenly over top. Bake, uncovered, for about 10 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the thickest part of pork reads 160 °F (71 °C). Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes then slice pork across the grain and serve with barley and sauce.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 4)
- Calories 498
- Protein 39 g
- Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 99 mg
- Carbohydrates 67 g
Fibre 13 g
Sugars 20 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 462 mg
- Potassium 1196 mg