6 servings / 2 hours 30 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 2 hours 15 min
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- 2 lb (1 kg) lean stewing beef, visible fat removed
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) each ground cumin and ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) fresh ground pepper
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1 hot chili pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) sodium reduced beef or vegetable broth or water
- 12 dried apricots, halved
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- Toss beef with cumin, coriander and pepper.
- In a shallow Dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat and brown beef.
- Stir in onions, garlic, ginger and chili pepper and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until onions have softened. Add broth; bring to a simmer and cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Stir in apricots and cook for about 30 minutes or until beef is very tender.
- Uncover and stir in zucchini; cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 6)
- Calories 330
- Protein 36 g
- Total fat 12 g
Saturated fat 4.5 g
Cholesterol 80 mg
- Carbohydrates 18 g
Fibre 3 g
Sugars 12 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 260 mg
- Potassium 980 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2017.