8 servings / 12 hours 15 min
Prep 12 hours / Cook 15 min
- 2 lb (1 kg) flank steak
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) light soy sauce
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) fresh lime juice
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) canola oil, divided
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried pepper flakes
- Place beef in a large, resealable plastic bag and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, lime juice, vinegar, sugar, 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil, garlic powder, and pepper flakes. Whisk until well blended. Reserve half of mixture (about 1/2 cup/125 mL) and pour the remaining half over the beef and seal bag; toss back and forth to coat beef. Refrigerate overnight or up to 48 hours, if desired, turning occasionally.
- Remove beef from marinade; discard marinade. Heat remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook beef 5–6 minutes on each side or until very pink in centre. (Do not overcook or it will be tough.) Place on a cutting board and let stand 5 minutes.
- Pour reserved marinade into the pan residue in skillet. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook 3 minutes or until reduced to 1/4 cup (50 mL), scraping bottom and sides of skillet. (The sauce consistency will be very thick.)
- Cook Once Eat Twice: Reserve half of the sauce (about 2 tbsp/25 mL) and half of the beef in separate containers for Citrus beef on zucchini ribbons. Cool and refrigerate.
- To serve, thinly slice remaining beef against the grain and drizzle with remaining sauce (about 2 tbsp/25 mL).
Nutritional info per serving
Serving size: 3 oz (90 g) cooked beef and 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) sauce
- Calories 110
- Protein 13 g
- Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 1.5 g
Cholesterol 35 mg
- Carbohydrates 3 g
Fibre 0 g
Sugars 2 g
Added Sugar 2 g
- Sodium 180 mg
- Potassium 204 mg