6 servings / 1 hr 20 min
Prep 20 min / Cook 1 hr
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced Yukon gold potatoes (approx 2 large)
- 3 cups (750 mL) diced sweet potatoes (approx 3 medium)
- 2 tbsp (25mL) non-hydrogenated margarine
- ¼ cup (50 mL) 2% milk
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced onion
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced carrot
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced celery
- 1 lb (454 g) ground turkey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried thyme
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas
- ½ cup (125 mL) pearl barley
- 1 cup (250 mL) sodium-reduced chicken stock
- Place potatoes and sweet potatoes in a large pot of water and boil until soft enough to mash. About 20 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and mash with margarine and milk. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large stock pot. Add onion, carrot and celery and cook over medium heat until softened. About 10 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and cook until no pink can be seen. Break apart large chunks with a wooden spoon.
- Add in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350º F (175º F).
- Place turkey mixture into a 6 cup (1.5 L) casserole dish and top with the mashed potatoes.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until the potatoes start to brown.
Make ahead: Assemble the casserole and keep in the fridge for 24 hours. Reheat in the oven for one hour or until heated thoroughly.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 6)
- Calories: 325
- Protein: 21 g
- Fat: 10 g
Saturated fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 58 mg
- Carbohydrate: 40 g
Dietary Fibre: 8 g
- Sodium: 323 mg
- Potassium: 868 mg
Recipe developed by Nadine Day, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2008.