5 servings / 1 hr 50 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 1 hr 35 min
One-pot meals that contain all your food groups are an easy way to get dinner on the table without too much fuss. Serve this beef stew with a slice of whole-grain toast for a delicious family meal.
- 1 tsp (5 mL) olive oil
- 1 lb (500 g) diced beef (inside or outside round)
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced onion
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
- ½ tsp (2 mL) black pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole button mushrooms
- 1 cup (250 mL) 25% sodium-reduced broth (beef, chicken or vegetable)
- 2 cups (500 mL) turnip, peeled and diced small
- 1 cup (250 mL) carrot, peeled and diced small
- 1 cup (250 mL) sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cups (500 mL Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) cold water
- 1 ½ tbsp (22 mL) cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350º F (180º C).
- In a large oven proof pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add meat and brown for about 10 minutes. Add onion, garlic, thyme, black pepper and mushrooms and cook until the onions are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add soup stock, turnip and carrots and bring to a boil. Cover and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix cold water and cornstarch. Remove stew from the oven and stir in cornstarch mixture, sweet potatoes and potatoes. Cover and return to the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and cook for an additional 15 minutes. Serve.
Nutritional info per serving (1 cup / 250 ml)
- Calories: 245
- Protein: 22 g
- Total fat: 4 g
Saturated fat:1 g
Cholesterol: 39 mg
- Carbohydrate: 31 g
Dietary fibre: 4 g
- Sodium: 182 mg
- Potassium: 833 mg
Recipe developed by Nadine Day, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2008.