4 servings / 50 mins
Prep 20 min / Cook 30 min
In this recipe, the accent flavours of sesame, ginger and soy sauce soak right into the quinoa and vegetables. The salmon is cooking on the top of this mixture to give you a complete meal all in one pan, ready in just half an hour. This is sure to become a new weeknight go-to meal.
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sesame seeds
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diagonally sliced
- 2 carrots, diagonally sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh gingerroot
- Pinch hot pepper flakes
- 1 cup (250 mL) quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) low-sodium vegetable broth or water
- 2 cups (500 mL) 1% milk
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sesame oil, divided
- 4 pieces (each 4 oz/125 g) thin skinless salmon fillet
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- In a large, deep skillet, toast sesame seeds over medium heat, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately transfer to a bowl; set aside.
- Return skillet to medium heat; add oil and swirl to coat. Sauté onion, celery and carrots for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, ginger and hot pepper flakes; sauté for 1 minute or until fragrant. Stir in quinoa.
- Stir in broth, then stir in milk. Stir in 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the soy sauce and 1 tsp (5 mL) of the sesame oil; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring once, for 7 minutes until quinoa is slightly tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine remaining soy sauce and sesame oil. Pat salmon fillets dry and brush both sides with soy sauce mixture.
- Stir edamame and any remaining soy sauce mixture into quinoa. Nestle salmon fillets in quinoa, spacing evenly around the pan. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until white juices just start to show on salmon and salmon is just opaque. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Spoon portions onto plates and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
Nutritional info per serving : 1 of 4
- Protein 41 g
- Total Fat 27 g
Saturated Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 75 mg
- Carbohydrates 43 g
Fibre 6 g
Sugars 10 g
Added sugar 0 g
- Sodium 426 mg
- Potassium 1252 mg