4 servings / 30 min
Prep 15 min / Cook 15 min
The Moroccan spices, fresh orange and yogurt give a lift to simple fish and couscous. You’ll be amazed at the nice texture and flavour you get by cooking the couscous in the milk. Serve some sautéed greens or a leafy green salad to complete the meal.
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp (10 mL) grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) 1% plain yogurt
- 4 skinless white fish fillets, such as haddock (about 1 lb/450 g total)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen green peas or chopped green beans, thawed
- 2 cups (500 mL) 1% milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat couscous
- 2 oranges, peeled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- In a small bowl, combine cumin, cinnamon, cayenne and orange zest. Transfer half to another bowl and stir in yogurt.
- Pat fish fillets dry; cut into 4 equal portions, if necessary. Place on prepared baking sheet; spread evenly with yogurt mixture. Bake in preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onion for 3 minutes or until starting to soften. Add garlic and remaining spice mixture; sauté for 2 minutes or until onion is softened. Stir in peas or green beans. Pour in milk; bring to a simmer, stirring often. Stir in couscous. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff couscous with a fork. Spoon onto plates and top with fish and garnish with orange slices.
- If you prefer to use fresh peas or green beans instead of thawed frozen vegetables, add them to the saucepan with 1/4 cup (50 mL) water and boil for 3 minutes before adding the milk.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 4)
- Calories 366
- Protein 30 g
- Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 68 mg
- Carbohydrates 50 g
Fibre 8 g
Sugars 17 g
Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 349 mg
- Potassium 912 mg