4 servings / 50 min
Prep 20 min / Cook 25-30 min
An easy one skillet meal that has a different flare and flavour by using fresh trout and egg whites to pack a protein punch for dinner or lunch. Serve it up with a crisp green salad or steamed vegetables to round out your plate.
- 1 trout fillet, about 375 g/12 oz
- 5 mL (1 tsp) grated lemon rind
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) water
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) canola oil
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 25 mL (2 tbsp) chopped fresh dill or 10 mL (2 tsp) dried dill weed
- 6 egg whites or 175 mL (3/4 cup) pasteurized egg whites
- Place trout fillet skin side down in lightly sprayed nonstick skillet and sprinkle with lemon rind and pepper. Cook on medium high heat for about 3 minutes or until skin is crispy. Turn over and cook for about 3 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with fork. Remove to plate.
- Place potatoes in skillet with water and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring once, for 10 minutes or until tender but firm. Drain potatoes and return to pan. Add oil, onions, garlic and dill and cook stirring for about 5 minutes or until golden.
- Remove skin from trout and flake fish into potato mixture and stir to combine. Whisk egg whites to loosen and pour over potato mixture lifting up edges for egg to flow underneath. Let egg cook, running spatula around edge to loosen for about 4 minutes or until edge is set. Place frittata about 15 cm (6 inches) under broiler and broil for about 4 minutes or until golden and knife inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Slide frittata onto large plate to cut in quarters and serve using a spatula.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 4)
- Calories: 206
- Protein: 16 g
- Total fat: 6 g
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 24 mg
- Carbohydrate: 23 g
- Fibre: 2 g
- Sugars: 2 g
- Added sugars: 0 g
- Sodium: 109 mg
- Potassium: 677 mg