12 servings / 25 min
Prep 10 min / Cook 15 min
- 2 cups (500 mL) buttermilk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) oat bran
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen wild blueberries
- In a large bowl mix together buttermilk, oil, vanilla, maple syrup, and eggs.
- In a second bowl combine flour, flax, oat bran, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk together until you get a smooth batter. Gently stir in blueberries.
- Preheat non-stick fry pan or griddle to medium heat. Use a cup measure to spoon the batter into the pan. When finished cooking, place on wax paper to cool. There should be 12 pancakes.
- When fully cooled, stack pancakes with wax paper in between and place in a resealable freezer bag. Place in freezer.
- To serve: Remove one pancake from the freezer and place in toaster on the darkest setting. When finished, cut in half, spread with apple butter and serve like a sandwich. Perfect for running out the door!
Nutritional info per serving
- Calories: 132
- Protein: 6 g
- Fat: 5 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Dietary cholesterol: 32 mg
- Carbohydrate: 19 g
Dietary fibre: 3 g
Sugars 6.5 g
Added sugars 4 g
- Sodium: 232 mg
- Potassium: 190 mg
Recipe developed by Nadine Day, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2007.